Dreaming... (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Dreaming... (page 3)

Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

United. Also, we explored alternate places to fly from - Boston, for example - and Newark was significantly less expensive.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott Anderson

Thanks, that's what we thought to fly out of Boston...

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mark Ruddock

BC Provincial Park campgrounds are always difficult to reserve, but better than when there was no reservation system.  Prior to this year, it was a 3-month window and you had to be sitting at your computer with your finger poised to click as soon as the clock struck 7 a.m., 3 months to the day before you wanted to camp.  Fingers crossed on the other hand.  Apparently it's a 2-month window this year but the Discover Camping website crashed on opening morning, as usual.  I think only BC residents are allowed to book just now.  There are first-c0me-first-serve campsites at most parks, but you have to be there by 11 a.m. (checkout time) for the popular spots, which doesn't work for cycle touring.  Only one provincial park campground I know of has hiker-biker sites, though some have walk-in sites.

Starting from Abbotsford in September you should be okay getting into campgrounds, at least once you get beyond Hope.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mark RuddockTo Jacquie Gaudet

Thanks Jacquie for the info!  We'll actually be going up along Harrison Lake to Lillooet, Merrit, and then joining the BC Trail in Brookmere.  Other than fire season in September, I'm most unsure about the weather in September, we should almost be starting in Banff and travelling west but don't want to do that!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mark Ruddock

September can be fabulous!

When Al and I came through Lytton (halfway between Lillooet and Merrit) last fall, the town was “closed”. We didn’t go into or through Lillooet but this sort of thing might still be a problem this fall.  

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

Hi Scott,

How did you find an airfare so low? We've searched and not able to find a low airfare.

Thanks

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

Dumb luck.  I was shocked.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott Anderson

This post failed to follow forum guidelines. It was removed by a moderator.

3 years ago

Prices are still pretty reasonable though - the nonstop United flight from Newark to Amsterdam in mid-August is only $380, per Expedia.   much less expensive than flying from Boston, for example.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

Thanks Scott, maybe that's the difference August versus October, because what we've  searched it's much more expensive.  

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago