Hello Folks! - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Hello Folks!

George Hall

I just wanted to say that I'm very happy to discover this site and join the community!  I'm especially excited to see names that I "know" from that other site, it makes me feel like I have found home.  I'm going on a long tour starting late April, so I'm thrilled to have a place to host my journal. 

I made a donation right away (I want this site to survive!) and I used the contact form to inquire about transferring my journals from the other site -  hopefully I will hear back about that.  I have some questions about journals, but I'll ask those in another post.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I must say that I'm thrilled to be here and look forward to being a part of this community.  Best wishes to all,

George (Buddy) Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike AylingTo George Hall

Welcome to CycleBlaze George!

I look forward to reading your journal in April.

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo George Hall

Welcome to our friendly and inclusive site. We all are looking forward to having new material to read after this long Covid year. Out of curiosity, where are you located that you will be able to do a tour this year?  Regards, the Grampies

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo Steve Miller/Grampies

I'm located in Oklahoma.  I plan to ride the ACA Transam route E to W - I had planned on riding it last year, but you know - COVID - and a few other things interfered as well.  I have ridden it before (2015), and if I was doing another solo tour I would instead ride the Northern Tier, but my sister and brother-in-law want to ride along with me this time, and the Transam will be a bit more accommodating for them.   

We will still have to deal with COVID concerns in 2021, but we are a group of 68-year-olds and we have all had both doses of the vaccine, so we're going to give it a go.   We will carry camping gear, but we likely won't camp more than a week or 2 of the 12-week journey - I just don't seem to "camp" as well as I did when I was younger, so we will choose hostels and cheap hotels as much as we can.  I'd post a link to my 2015 journal, but it's on that other site and I'm not certain that linking to it is kosher - hopefully it will get ported over to this site soon.  

Buddy 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John PickettTo George Hall

Welcome. I'm new here too. Based on my (and others) experience, you'll likely get kicked off the other site, but you'll be given an opportunity to download your journals beforehand. 

Good luck with your tour. I'm still on hold pending vaccination which is taking longer than anticipated.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo John Pickett

Thanks John.  I've already been booted off the other site - looks like I'm in good company!  I have downloaded my journals, just need to get them into the "queue" for posting here.  

Don't despair, the vaccine is coming and you will hopefully get it soon.  I guess one advantage of being older is getting the vaccine earlier - but I'd rather be younger and have to wait longer!  

Buddy

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Deleted AccountTo George Hall

What was your crime Buddy? Mine was to disagree with Neil's Forum comment about stopping the fraud and agreeing with Wayne's perfectly correct reply! 

Andrew

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo Deleted Account

My crime was similar to yours. I noted that the tech giants (like Google) were right to suspend Trump’s account after he incited an insurrection, and that he shouldn’t try to punish Google by not allowing them to index the site. So I was being taught a lesson by learning “what it feels like to be silenced”  - since I was supportive of Trump losing his voice, now I get to experience what that’s like. 

Here’s the thing; it’s his sandbox, so if you don’t play like he wants he will just send you away.  It’s not exactly an adult way to run a website, but it’s his website. But I’m done with that now - I’m thrilled to have found this site and have my voice again! It’s time to move forward now.

Buddy Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Deleted AccountTo George Hall

Well said and a great attitude Buddy. I had been curious as to what had set off this latest surge of "migrants" from one site to this one - mind boggling stuff!

Andrew

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo Deleted Account

One important point to note regarding folks migrating here from the other site; many cycle tourists just don't know that this site exists.  That was me until I recently found it.  If you use Google or Bing and search for "bicycle tour journals" you will find it.  But if you don't include the word "journal" in the search phrase you won't find it - for instance, if you say "blog" instead.  I'll make sure that my local bike club is aware of it by posting a link on our Facebook page - I'll do what I can to assure it survives and thrives.   Hopefully we all will...

Buddy

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago