Journal Comments - CentralEurope - CycleBlaze

From CentralEurope by Jill Gelineau

Tricia Graham commented on Bad Leonfelden, Austria to Cesky Krumlov, Czechia (Sept. 26, 2022)

I agree entirely with you. Hotels are easier. Often at the end of a ride you don’t want the social effort of being someone from a weird litter country at the bottom of the world

1 day ago
Jill Gelineau replied to a comment by ann and steve maher-weary on Bad Leonfelden, Austria to Cesky Krumlov, Czechia (Sept. 26, 2022)

That’s funny. It’s pretty much the opposite hear right now. Definitely some tourists but it’s pretty quiet.

1 day ago
ann and steve maher-weary commented on Bad Leonfelden, Austria to Cesky Krumlov, Czechia (Sept. 26, 2022)

We stayed in CK in 2012 with our kids. We had a challenging time too with accommodations. We were tenting in a campground in town. It was empty when we put up our tents. We toured around, visited the castle and went out for supper. When we got back, there was a sea of tents in the campground. It was Friday and everyone arrived to party. The music rocked all night. We were getting a 7:30 am train which meant we were taking down our tent as people were heading off to bed. My husband Steve had to carry the bikes to the side of the field the tents were that jam packed together. We loved the town but that night was crazy. Enjoy!

1 day ago
Jill Gelineau replied to a comment by Steve Miller/Grampies on Seeing Mauthausen (Sept. 24, 2022)

I entirely understand this. When I visited Dachau
it stayed with me for weeks and we are still pondering Mauthausen. I can’t imagine the pain if we were of Jewish descent.

1 day ago
Steve Miller/Grampies commented on Seeing Mauthausen (Sept. 24, 2022)

We have never been able to go to (or even near) any of the camps. It is too painful and too personal for us since Dodie's father lost his entire family in various camps. We could not even watch the movie Schindler# List. Neither could Dodie's Dad.

Kathleen Classen commented on Just when you think life is going according to plan....

I am addicted to my iPad, and phone and watch!!! I feel your pain. What a lousy way to spend the day. I am glad it was resolved, at least you are up and running again, and two iPads are never a bad idea.

Mike Ayling commented on Just when you think life is going according to plan....

I have always considered Apple products to be expensive and the price together with lengthy waiting times just to be seen has not increased my liking for the product. Good luck in acquiring your replacement!

ann and steve maher-weary commented on Krems to Melk (Sept. 21, 2022)

We loved this section of the Danube. We did it in 2012, with our two kids and my sister and her daughter. From Passau to Budapest. A girlfriend joined us for part of the trip too. We had a blast and solidified our desire to become cycle tourers. Thanks for your great photos, it brings back wonderful memories.

Melinda Lilley commented on a photo in Vienna to Tulln (Sept.19, 2022)

Eric likes the neon green/

Steve Miller/Grampies commented on Vienna to Tulln (Sept.19, 2022)

Dodie accidentally found that her phone has a glove mode that allows it to respond to finger control without removing the gloves in the rain. Maybe yours has that feature too?

Kathleen Classen commented on Vienna Airport to the Apple Store (Sept. 12, 2022)

We have a Rube Goldberg sort of arrangement that we bring with us which consists of a three outlet North American plug and an adaptor. We haven’t needed to use it this year so it pretty much dead weight. I wish I could beam it to you! We do leave our electric toothbrushes at home, and this year we left the camera behind too. Keith’s new iPhone takes outstanding pictures.

Jill Gelineau commented on A day at the Sopron Monastery Hotel (Sept. 10, 2022)

Hey Mark, not as much as we thought. We did see a bunch of stuff on Orban when we visited the Iron curtain museum and it seemed to be pretty pro-Orban. Our impression is that his popularity is similar to Putin’s popularity with the Russian people. Ie: he wants to make a Hungary great again (and they like that) AND, he may be a son of a bitch but he’s OUR son of a bitch. There was a pretty scathing editorial in the
Washington Post yesterday by the editorial board where they implored the EU to punish him.

Jill Gelineau replied to a comment by Kathleen Classen on Vienna Airport to the Apple Store (Sept. 12, 2022)

Thanks, we have pretty much concluded that we just need to have European chargers and agree with that suggestion. The problem is Dave’s random other items that were purchased in the US: toothbrush, electric shaver, camera. I have gently suggested he could manage with a regular toothbrush and a straight shaver but even I can’t suggest he leave his camera at home or purchase something different to use in
Europe! It’s to near and dear to his heart.

So happy it got sorted. Electronics are a blessing and a curse.

Mark Long commented on A day at the Sopron Monastery Hotel (Sept. 10, 2022)

Are you hearing anything about the controversial (crazy?)Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán?

2 weeks ago