Day 87: Boubiers-Day 1 - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2024

Day 87: Boubiers-Day 1

We set aside today for me  to clean and go over the bikes, and for Dodie to list and review all our stuff - and to  decide on and record what will stay here in Boubiers and what will come home.

With the bikes, Ian was incredibly helpful. As he says, he has 40 years experience working with bikes. He was willing not only to share tools (not the least of which was a pressure washer!) but also to get in there with me and in particular, investigate the deeper mysteries of our Magura hydraulic rim brakes, not to mention the method for removing and reinstalling Dodie's rear wheel. This was all a particular treat for me. At last, there was time to attempt fine adjustments, and the knowledge that any screwup could be remedied with time, tools, and expertise on hand. Not least, there was the pleasure of going over the various tasks and tricks with a fellow cycling enthusiast. I think that Ian enjoyed this too. For example he fired up his laptop and found detailed Magura adjustment videos, which we eagerly  watched over and over, pausing the computer to mull over the trickier fine points. And after deciding that a certain plastic bushing was worn, he tracked down a source of replacements. Finding a source for an obscure Magura brake part is no mean feat, and I am sure Ian will pop it in when it finally arrives.

Backing up a bit, our place here at Ian and Clare's place is the same as a little cottage, with kitchen and sitting room downstairs and bedroom and washroom upstairs. It feels like a place in the country, because it is (though technically in the tiny town). Ian began our day by bringing over some breakfast, which included vegan oat pancakes, croissants, pains au chocolat, and so forth. 

The day starts right
Heart 2 Comment 0

Despite a little bit of threat in the weather forecast, the day turned out mostly sunny. This allowed Ian and I to put Dodie's bike on a stand out in the courtyard, and to benefit from the bright light out there. It did not take us, and in particular Ian, long to scope out and master the trick of disconnecting the Nexus drive cable and removing the wheel, while understanding the way in which Dodie's bike adjusts the chain tension. This was important, because our plan now is to order four new tires for our bikes, and to swap them out before the next trip. Ian says we can get them sent to here over the summer, and he also says he will swap them in (now that we are both experts on that Nexus cable thing). 

I hope I am not building expectations too high for other cyclists that may read this and come here! But I think Ian and Clare are just like this.

Sunshine, a bike stand, time, and two heads better than one -the wheel does not have much chance of being a problem!
Heart 3 Comment 0
We're getting serious now!
Heart 1 Comment 0

This cyclist is happy to have the problem prone wheel in his clutches. Thanks for the photo and help, Ian Satoor.

We have the knowledge now to take this wheel on and off, to fix a flat or to swap out the tire. Trisha, too bad you did not have a 2024 Grampie in your back pocket when a similar wheel gave you and Michel such grief, back in 2017.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Michel helps with Tricia's Nexus wheel flat, Ste Luce near Nantes, 2017.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Tricia GrahamKen and Michael looked at vidios Michael rang someone and they thought they had it! But I soon realised I had to always ride in the lowest gear! Yes we needed a 2024 Grampie
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamWe have yet to actually cross paths in person. Too bad time travel is not yet a reality.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Tricia GrahamI really feel I we have known you two for a very long time. Remember about a century ago telling you it was really great to tour in Europe!!! Last year I thought we would actually meet but it wasn’t to be and this year we will be well home by the time you are back to the Loire. Have a safe trip home and dream of your next trip. For our time in Burgandy this year we will be with our daughter son in law and grandsons so that will be fun
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamHow right you are. We also feel like we have known you for years, we just haven't met in person yet. Life is full of surprises so who knows, one day maybe our actual paths will cross.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Flush with Dodie rear wheel success, Ian noticed that the bearings on my front wheel were noisy and had play in them. So moving indoors to the workshop, because of one or two raindrops, we ripped open that wheel. Ian had suggested I order some new bearing balls, and he would put them in, but I settled for regreasing and readjusting. One cone did show a lot of sign of wear, but the balls seemed ok. Ian expertly regreased, and carefully adjusted. Now, despite 22,000 km of use, I think the wheel will be ok (for a while).

This looks like I am doing something, but Ian was the maestro on the bearings.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretLooks like you had a “ripping good time”, Grampie! ( your jacket) ;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretIt is on the "to repair " list when we get home.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We actually spent most of our time on those Magura brakes, completely disassembling and reassembling the calipers repeatedly, while as I say, trying to make them behave as in the video. We finally settled on a 'not bad' adjustment, while plotting to order in those possibly worn bushings.

Those who know that Dodie and I do everything together, may wonder where she was during all this bicycle tomfoolery. Dodie does not like mechanical details, so she was glad to be inside. And I do not like what she was doing - meticulously sorting and listing little bits of gear.  Do we need one tube of sunscreen or two, and which should we leave here with the bikes? Who cares!

Well Dodie does, and you can see that her list is long. And when the time comes for me to demand "Hey, where is the sunscreen?", she will know.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is still stuff to sort.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Karen PoretOoh! A Friesland sticker on a pannier! :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretIt is facing the rear of the bike, which is why it is usually not seen. Dodie knows it's there, however, and now so do you.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd, such a happy reminder of that lovely location in NL!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
But some is ready to store away.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bike adjusting and gear sorting is almost done now, leaving us time to jump on the bikes and explore the surrounding countryside. One of our cycling projects was to nip into Gisors, 12 km distant, and talk to the SNCF about putting our bikes on a train there in August, as we set off for Nantes to meet son and grandkids for some cycling on the Loire. But Ian and Clare assure us that not only does SNCF not have any staff at Gisors, but that we can easily throw our bikes on the train at nearby Liancourt. They did this themselves all the time while commuting to Paris. That's great, but now we have lost an "activity"! No matter, we'll go to Gisors for a look around, and also check out the bakery at Chaumont, which if not necessarily on the way, could be!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Carolyn van HoeveGreat write up Steve! What a champion Ian is. One of the things I love about cycle touring is the number of good people you meet along the way. It's very different to the story we get fed every day in the news. I look forward to reading about your trip with the grandchildren which I'm sure you're very excited about.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretAh, a partnership with each partner having an important task to master, and preferring to do.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Carolyn van HoeveThe logistics of touring with 6 instead of 2 people is a little bit daunting, but the fun will surely outweigh the difficulties. Hope you are going to blog your next trip. It would be nice to meet you, at least virtually, and not just your bikes.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretThe best pairings are those where each one has their own area of expertise and is valued for it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago