Day 86: Giverny to Boubiers - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2024

Day 86: Giverny to Boubiers

Heart 0 Comment 0

 We set off along the now familiar Rue Claude Monet and came to the bakery. Unlike many, this bakery often appears to be closed, but is usually open. You have to go into a courtyard, and then through a closed door. he bakery also appears to have not much, but in fact it does, and the quality is excellent.

Now protected against any possible bonk on the trail, we took the lower road, eventually by the river Epte, out of town. This is the road that separates Monet's Lily Pond from the house and garden. Also across the road is the parking for the house and garden, which amounts to over 600 spots! I think I read that Monet got the town to channel water from the Epte over to his pond. You can see all these bits - the parking, the pond, the garden, the channel and the Epte over on the right,  on the track map:

Heart 0 Comment 0

When we had reached the Epte, we noticed an interesting house and stopped for a peek.

House by the Epte. As usual we fantasized about what if we would live there. But it was clearly too big for two little old folks. Then we spotted a kind of coach house to the right. "Oh. we could live there!" we burbled.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The sort of coach house.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking in on the grounds, main house is left, coach house is right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The whole picture. Why are we spending so much time on this place? For one thing, we found that the place is for sale. Not that we dare phone to ask the price! Next, it is famous. We must have good taste - look at the historic panel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 We reluctantly moved along. We'll find more fantasy houses along the way! 

Here is the group entry to the house and garden. This line turns the corner to the left and goes way down. There is obviously no advantage to coming early, as this crowd is queuing for the earliest opening.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next town along the line is Gasny. It is becoming apparent that all the towns in this region  feature super cute stone houses. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
This country inn looks like fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In 2022 we cycled from England to Paris on the "Avenue Verte", and that includes the Gasny to Gisors rail trail. So it should not have come as a surprise when we hit that trail at Gasny. But of course, it was all (good) news to us! This shows that it takes only two years for us to forget a route, making it available again to be cycled with all the sense of discovery and wonder as the first (second, third) time.      

Gasny to Gisors happens to be exactly where we are going!
Heart 2 Comment 0
See the loopy Seine down there?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The seine is crazily loopy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Look at the great path.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another cute house.
Heart 3 Comment 0

All along this greenway there are panels describing different aspects of the agricultural lands that one is passing through. The panels have a common format, which includes a kid oriented puzzle bit. This is what triggered our memory that we had been here, for this puzzle is controversial. The question was  "How many farmers are hidden in this landscape?". The official answer is 8, but that assumes the unproven proposition that each tractor currently has a farmer in it.   

Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen Poret“New Math”puzzle..not just for kids!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The type of panels that include the puzzles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh golly, another great place.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Here we see the three main types of beef cattle raised here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look, a very mini chateau. But I figure it has at least 18 rooms - too many for these little old folks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a quiet and beautiful ride!
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are seven differences between these cows. Can you find them?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezThat was fun! I loved these puzzles as a child.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
If you give up, then you need to turn this upside down and break out the French dictionary!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are the local dairy cows - the Normande and the Holstein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quiz: What are these?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, the Blond d'Aquitaine!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is a coincidence- a bee like the one being described in the panel landed just as I was about to record the words.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ok, last game. I really had no idea what they were going on about, but Dodie figured it: You have to guide the bee home by hopping flowers in the specified colour order: Blue, red, yellow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love it when swans adopt this pose. This is on the Epte river.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Gisors turned out to be a nice stone town, just bigger than the rest. Ok, it had some plain bits, and also a big shopping centre. But it is nice enough that we plan to cruise back here for a further look in the coming days.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Gisors
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Even the lavoirs are super quaint. (These were places for washing your clothes in the river.)
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wonderful - this is the main road to Boubiers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boubiers in the distance, we are almost there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ian's place turned out to be a complex of several buildings, with some parts three or four hundred years old! Ian has been busy renovating, and he has several spaces in top condition. There is also a large covered shelter, a bike workshop, bike storage, and other workshops.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some of Ian's bikes!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our spot is over on the right. This is so great! We also report with a little embarrassment (since Ian will probably read this) that on the instantaneous (blink) basis we really liked Ian, his wife Clare, daughter Molly, the dogs, and the cat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Black Redstart on Ian's roof.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Part of repurposing an ancient place is the occasional beam in the way. But for Scott, there are other, safer, rooms here!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks for the heads up, but I think I could handle this because it would be in my sight line.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWe thought of you every time we ducked under the beam. At least it was not on the way to the bathroom, so not a nighttime in the dark half asleep traverse.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 4,144 km (2,573 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Carolyn van HoeveAh fond memories of that room ... and the beam. So glad you're liking it there. We loved it too. Also great to see the route you took to get there.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Carolyn van HoeveThanks for letting us know about this place. It is a really terrific spot to prepare for our return home. Ian and Clare are great. Your bikes are safely waiting for your return, and they both say "hurry back".
Reply to this comment
1 month ago