Puerto del Azotado - Winterlude 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 27, 2023

Puerto del Azotado

Before moving on to today’s exciting events, I want to take a few minutes (which is about how long it takes to type this out with my index fingers on the virtual keyboard of my iPad) to thank all of you who congratulated me on completing my birthday ride.  Also, to applaud you for your creativity and originality!

Congratulations!  Way to go!  Good job!  Great job!  Well done!  Chapeau!  Kudos!  Allez!  Hup, hup!  Woot, woot!  You may be 77, but you cycle like you’re 47!  No, 37!   You’re thumbing your nose at time again!

Well done, yourselves!  We CycleBlazers are such a creative bunch.  I’m humbled.

____________

Today’s ride is a repeat of the one out to the El Rio, the transient lake at the northern end of the Santa Cruz branch of the loop just a few miles this side of Marana.  You’ll recall that we attempted this ride on our first day here but were rebuffed by the closure of the trail for a construction project that began last winter.  The information on the Loop’s website said it was due for completion by the end of the year, so we’re checking it out again.

The news: it doesn’t look anywhere near completion.  Maybe by the end of next year?  Because we planned ahead though, we had an alternate route loaded onto the Garmins to help us find our way - north on Silverbell for about a quarter mile until coming to a short branch of the loop that cuts through a subdivision and connects to the main line.  I was hoping this might get us past the construction site, but not quite.  There’s another quarter mile of dirt through the construction site to be crossed before coming to the paved loop again, it’s near end appearing almost like a mirage in the wide cleared and graded surface that looks like it might be destined to become a road someday.  The only development so far though is this seemingly brand new bike path, which continues on for about a mile and eventually brings us to the lookout over the transient lake, today filled with water and waterfowl.

So maybe the loop really is about to reopen?  It looks like they’re only about a half mile shy of closing the gap.

Anyway, we made it.  And the usual script unfolds - Rachael bolts down a snack and then hops back on the bike to ride the remaining mile to the end of the path on Avra Valley Road, while I check out the bird scene.  And there’s a lot to be checked out today, especially on the water - egrets, wigeons, pintails, teals, and other ducks aplenty - but nothing new for the year, because by now I’ve seen pretty much all the waterfowl you can find in these parts.

But I do manage to fire off a couple of shots that please me - a perhaps best ever one of an Anna’s hummingbird, and a definitely best ever one of the tiny, elusive verdin.  And, a new bird!  there are maybe a half dozen rough-winged swallows swooping across and dropping quickly to the water’s surface - much too fleet and flighty for me to get a shot off, but it’s clear what they are.  There’s no other swallow species you’re likely to see here at this time of year.

Verdins are so cute! Even cuter than a rock squirrel, I think most would agree.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanYes, very cute indeed.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
A female Anna’s hummingbird. She’s got a pretty menacing squint there. I’d definitely be concerned, if I had six legs.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Past its sell-by date.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMealy scale insect

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/scgen/cochineal-scale-on-cactus.htm

We had a bad infestation on our chollas in Mojave back in the 1960s
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltHey, thanks for that! It didn’t occur to me. Not the most attractive insect though.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
A colorful grass.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltTook some searching, but maybe rush milkweed.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/62291/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltDefinitely. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we’re leaving to head home, Rachael points out a sign I’ve undoubtedly seen before but glossed over: we’ve been taking a break at one of the campsites of the Juan Batista de Anza National Historic Trail.  This is the Anza who in 1775-76 pioneered a new route through New Mexico, from Nogales to the California coast, leading a band of 240 settlers hoping for a better life.  We’re standing at one of the party’s campsites, many of which are protected by the National Park service to commemorate the historic trail.  

Its interesting to read the history of this group, and juxtapose the honor they’ve been given to the reception the thousands of migrants streaming north daily from Central America receive today.  Maybe someday the NPS will declare a historic site to commemorate Trump’s border wall?

We stay on the paved roads as we head south again, taking Coachline and Silverbell until we reconnect with the loop at the opposite end of the closure at Cortaro Road.  After that we ride together until we’re back in town and I stop to scope out a hawk on the opposite side of the wash while Rachael continues on.

Rocky and her latest conquest, Tumamoc Hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It takes awhile to conclude it’s just another red tailed hawk, and finally I’m rolling again.  Inspired by Rachael though and tired of always coming in a few miles short of her, I decide to continue on south of Saint Mary’s for a mile so I can round up a few miles myself.

As it turns out though, this wasn’t a very good idea - as I discover when I’m on Granada waiting for a long freight train to pass.  I wait, and wait, and wait as the endless line of cars slowly progresses in front of me, finally speeding up and giving some hope to me and the many cars queued up on both sides of the tracks.

Endless.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I didn’t think to check the time when I arrived, but I’m certain that I waited for at least ten minutes or even fifteen.  As it turns out though this wasn’t a very good idea either, as I discover when the train unexpectedly slows down and then comes to full stop, with still no end yet in sight.  So I finally give up, make a uey, and head back to downtown for the underpass on Stone.

So here’s your traveler’s advice for the day - if you’re in Tucson and time is of the essence, don’t take Granada.

Heart 0 Comment 0

____________________

2023 Bird List

     222. Northern rough-winged swallow

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 589 miles (948 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesHey you - firstly, your age in miles is a real achievement, unlike our wimpy metric metrics. Secondly, where is your photo of the Northern Rough Winged Swallow? If no photo still counts when ID is clear, then Dodie will begin demanding credit for the Toucan she saw the other day and the Roadrunner from today.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesNo photo, but I’m taking credit anyway. And no reason for you to not take credit for your roadrunner and toucan sightings either, since they’re pretty unmistakeable - assuming you identify which roadrunner and toucan species you saw, since there’s more than one of each.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago