First ride - Winterlude 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 18, 2023

First ride

So we said that we would be pretty lackadaisical about keeping the journey going down here, but our first ride together surely counts as Personal News.  We don’t have to say too much about it though, especially since Rachael captured the spirit of the day so well.

Some key facts though:

  • Destination: Julian Wash, by way of the Rattlesnake Bridge and the Aviation Bikeway.
  • Weather conditions: mild but windy, with the winds blowing stronger the further east we went.  Once we turned around though we flew most of the way back home.
  • Roadrunner count: 0.

I think that about does it.  See you the next time there’s something to report.

Leaving the homestead. The first several blocks go slowly, because the street surface is horrible. Were going to be pretty sick of it after six weeks, I imagine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The south end of the Tucson Mountains from the Palo Verde overpass, with the Quinlan Mountains beyond.
Heart 5 Comment 0
There’s quite a bit of water in the system, and the desert vegetation seems healthier than we’ve seen in a few years. This hedgehog cactus is the largest one I remember seeing anywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltIt looks a little thirsty.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Flying home.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Video sound track: Bernie’s Tune, by George Shearing

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 324 miles (521 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Larry Mitchell45 days until we are there and cycling those cycle paths …
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamAnother sparkly video! Looks like a strong recovery after the theft of your suitcase. I'm stoked to see Rachael riding sleeveless. It's so cold in St. Louis, I've written off cycling here for the week we have left before we hit the road. Hope the nice weather holds into January when we get to Tucson.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Suzanne GibsonGreat to see pictures and video from the ride, even if it's not new. Nice to go back to familiar places.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Larry MitchellOoh, so close! Sounds like we’ll be on our way north two or three days before you arrive.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago