Day 42: St Georges de Montclard to Castillonnes - Grampies Cross Europe Germany to Spain Fall 2023 - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2023

Day 42: St Georges de Montclard to Castillonnes

Heart 0 Comment 0

It stands to reason, since everyone and therefore every chambre d'hote host is different, that sometimes we really enjoy chatting and breakfasting and sometimes not. This morning, we found Phillippe and Nanou really easy to talk to. Breakfast was simple but high quality too. The first reason is that before retiring, to renovate this place, they ran a restaurant in Perigueux. The second reason was that the croissants and baguettes came from the bakery here in the little town, and that one - with a wood fired oven - is really top notch.

The temperature started at 4 degrees this morning. We knew that this would rise quickly in the fully sunny day, so it sort of did not pay to roll out our full cold weather defences. That is, no chemical hand warmers for me, and no down parka. In the short run, though, I was suffering. The much tougher Dodie, of course, had no problem one way or another.

After leaving Phillippe and Nanou (and urging them to follow the blog) we immediately stopped in at their bakery. The stone building, and the wood oven are so intensely rustic, we just love it.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This is where the magic happens, starting at 2 a.m. It takes time to get the wood oven up to temperature!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The selection is not huge, but the quality is #1
Heart 6 Comment 0
See this, Wonder Bread producers? It's what bread should look like.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraI'm so envious!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraThe quality was top notch!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

After about tens seconds thought, Dodie decided we should route through Bergerac, even if our distance might turn out a little greater or the roads a little busier. I find her intuition is 99% trustworthy, and this time she really scored big. Mostly unknowingly, we were wandering into a world of wine chateaus, that were complemented by other worlds of stone houses, foie gras, a huge Saturday market, the Dordogne River, and even, or especially, Cyrano (de Bergerac!).

We quickly hit our first chateau, at Monastruc. While this was certainly nice to look over towards and I think they claim to make wine, I have since figured out the situation about vines here. The key to the vineyards is the Dordogne river, which is a major east west affair, joining the more north-south Garonne, close to where they both enter the sea at Bordeaux. The Dordogne vineyards are on the south side of the river, at least in the vicinity of Bergerac. So here we were charging down from the north, and we would not really encounter the Dordogne until Bergerac, which is on the river. Once we would cross the river there, (and with a fair bit of climbing the ridge on the south side) we would be in vine and chateau playland.

The chateau of Monastruc
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming soon - we are almost there!
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Lembras the first vines show up, but this is still not really vine central.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As "everybody" knows, Repentigny is only 20 kms down the St Lawrence River from my brother's house!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were kind of targeting the famous waterfront of Bergerac, but we actually hit the  church at the centre. We were overjoyed to find that we had also hit the Saturday market. This occupied the streets encircling the church, and overflowed down some side streets as well. The market was incredibly well attended, and it was difficult making our way pushing the bikes by the stalls and among the people. Despite the slight awkwardness of maneuvering the bikes, we found everyone to be good natured. More than that, they wanted to know who we were, where we came from and where we were going. In short, the UQ's. I got held up by several people that wanted to talk, and I was concerned as Dodie vanished up ahead not that I would lose her, but that she would say "Where the hell were you?".

No worries, because when I did catch up it was because Dodie too was getting UQ'd. And as usual we also learned that this one had visited Quebec and that one Niagara Falls. One lady had a son in St Jean sur  Richelieu, which is where we had taken the Montreal grandchildren cycling on the route verte. Yes, the lady knew that route verte, and so on and so  forth!

Heart 2 Comment 0
At the market by the church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ah yes, no risk of Dodie getting too far ahead.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This market was everywhere
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretAnd the cycles truck smack dab in center right!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretThere is a white truck in so many of our photos. We are beginning to wonder if it follows us from place to place.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down a side street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here are the Noix de Perigord. The kind we picked on our own by the roadside. Hazelnuts (noisettes) too!
Heart 2 Comment 0
I tried looking up the difference between these two, but I still don't fully get it.
Heart 0 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltI looked too... No idea how they tell by looking, but copying from a website, I found, "Simply put: if your chestnut hull has only one nut fruit inside, it's a marron. If there is more than one, it's a châtaigne."

I guess you just need to know which tree they came from. No apparent difference, and no price difference, so it must be one of those French peculiarities.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith KleinHi,
I don’t get it either. We have trees called marronniers, which are horse chestnuts, the nut of which is also called a marron, but it’s not edible, and trees called châtaigniers, which are true chestnuts and have delicious nuts. One of my favorite spreads on crêpes or a bit of bread is crème de marrons, which is made from chestnuts. One nut or two? I don’t know. True chestnuts have very thorny husks, and horse chestnuts have husks with few thorns, and those are not hard or sharp. Gathering châtaignes in the forest requires gloves, and husking them is sometimes done with a board pierced through with many nails which you strap to your feet and stomp around on the unhusked nuts. Horse chestnuts are used by small boys in England and in my home town of Buffalo, New York, to make conkers. Chestnuts are roasted on open fires or barbecue grills on the street in the late fall and early winter.
But I can’t get a good explanation of why some chestnuts are called marrons for the market, other than the one nut/two nuts per husk mentioned.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt is a seriously weird thing with no apparent logic to it. See Keith Klein's explanation just above this message. Truly incomprehensible.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Keith KleinAs you are likely aware, here in Ohio (the buckeye state), horse chestnuts are known as buckeyes... A doctor friend of mine, years ago told me a buckeye is a useless nut... and he graduated from Ohio State U, "the Buckeyes." I know people who like to toss them into a campfire a few at a time and they explode. Real edible American chestnuts are rare since the blight of 100 years ago or so.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith KleinHi Bill,
I’ve got a buckeye nut in the box where I keep my other small « trophies » that I’ve collected over the years. I went to high school in Madison, Ohio and there was a buckeye tree on my parent’s property. If I can remember my botany after 55 years, buckeyes are in the genus Aesculapus as are the Eurasian variety that makes conkers. Different species, but closely related.
There are a few wild American chestnuts left in Wisconsin, or there were until very recently. Their exact location is kept secret by the DNR to avoid pillage by the plethora of village idiots that seem to be attracted to endangered species.
Cheers
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
There were dozens and dozens of general fruit and vegetable vendors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most markets have paniers like these. They are ideal for market going on foot, but of course lack bike mounts.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownThese are bolgas, market baskets handmade in Ghana. The leather handles are outstanding for carrying heavy produce, we have one expressly for bringing in stuff from the garden. They will last a lifetime.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
In our view, Golden Retrievers are the best of dogs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first time we have seen ginger for sale at a European market.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltFirst time I have seen it for sale with the greens attached...
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltFirst time we have seen it for sale at all.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI buy ginger root regularly at Kroger. Used in cooking, smoothies for anti inflammatory properties and ginger powder for breakfast drinks.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The classic French green beans. It's late in the season so they are not 100% perfect.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting beets and carrots
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
These guys spotted the Chemin St Jacques (Camino) sticker on Dodie's handlebar bag. Camino goers are like a big club, and they had done it seven times, never by the same route!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This man was walking around the market, rather than having a stall. Vanilla, he says, is a key ingredient in creme caramel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We would soon see a lot more like this. It's hard to see, but here is pate of pork, of duck, and of foie gras of duck.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were looking for the classic rotisserie truck, but found this fixed rotisserie, with a stall out front. Just as good!
Heart 0 Comment 0
They had other stuff (than chicken) out as well, including foie gras. We got a concoction of roast potatoes with mushrooms and tons of garlic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rounding the church and out toward the square, the market continued.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A quick glance at the church, but today was a market and vine rather than a church day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In the square, Dodie bought some postcards at the Tabac. I noticed that though we are buried in the middle of France, the news of the world is still much on display.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the square, young and old enjoy the outdoor cafe ambiance
Heart 4 Comment 0
One last market thing - locally made prunes, and also quince paste. This type of stuff is a Dodie favourite, so I invested 6 euros in two smallish bags. Quince, by the way, is "Coing", a word I did not know. The man had to drag out a "live" one to explain it to me.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Elsewhere in the square, a fair crowd had gathered to fill out questionnaires from the department government, asking for their take on how the next budget should be constructed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The market had been fun, but now we plunged from the square toward the river. That is the main walking street/ice cream district, and it too was packed with people enjoying the afternoon.

Narrow walking streets down toward the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

One category of store in this area was the pate specialist. I walked in to one and asked if I could take a picture - no problem!

These feature duck as much as goose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cassoulet is another "dubious" category we know we are going to run into. Here we have double whammy goose cassoulet!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Beans, sausage, and grease is how Sue defines cassoulet. I like it à la Toulousaine, or with duck.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinThat is Dodie's take on it also.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Along the general lines of striking it lucky for today, we walked directly into the little park featuring Cyrano de Bergerac. Cyrano, we have learned, was a real 17th century person in Paris. He was popularized by an 1897 play, in which he falls in love with his cousin Roxane, but can not approach her because he feels himself ugly because of his big nose. Instead he writes poetry for her, which he supplies to his friend Christian. Roxane eventually realizes she loves Cyrano, not Christian. Cyrano dies knowing that, at last, she is aware of his love and that she shares it with him.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Andrea BrownI can't see this guy without thinking of Steve Martin and Darryl Hannah in "Roxanne", which was filmed in adorable Nelson, British Columbia.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownI noticed the French write Roxanne with one "n", but even here autocorrect will just not allow it!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauSo he really did have a long nose.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gregory GarceauApparently so, if the statue is accurate.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Look at that balcony up on the church at the Cyrano park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The area here is so quaint.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Perigord menu and the Cyrano menu!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Narrow streets all around here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
One park lower down, there is yet another Cyrano statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We finally reached the river, through all the interesting and lovely stuff. The riverfront was nice, but not as exciting as the other districts. we did however have the characteristic river boats. As we understood the story from Phillippe, the boats brought wood from up river and offloaded at Bergerac, there they loaded up with wine and took it to Bordeaux. At Bordeaux the boats would be abandoned - disassembled for their wood content - and the sailors would walk back upriver to begin the process again. The round trip took a year.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is our bridge across the Dordogne.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back to the north shore
Heart 3 Comment 0
Houses on the south shore.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now began a fairly long climb away from the river and up through vine and chateau central. The  vines were everywhere, and running off to the horizon, but they held some puzzles for us. First off, what variety is being grown here? Next, why are they still all on the vine, getting mushy or even already turning to raisins? We also saw a neglected vineyard and wondered if they were closing down - related to not havesting? But no, we also saw new plantings being started.

Ah, the vines
Heart 2 Comment 0
They stretch back down to the river
Heart 3 Comment 0
Is this a bad sign?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith KleinIt does look abandoned. Maybe ready for a replant?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Maybe not, because here are new ones.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But look, they are mostly unharvested!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith KleinHi,
They are raised to become sweet wine with high sugar, which is favored by late harvest and the infection of the grapes by Botrytis, the noble rot. Monbazilliac is one such wine. Sauternes is another.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
What variety are these, and what do we make of their condition?
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltEiswein? When we were in Germany, we learned it is considered special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith KleinHi,
The variety could be sémillon, Sauvignon or mus a-t-elle, and they look good. Nice botrytis spots, should be ready to pick in a few days.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith KleinTo Bill ShaneyfeltHi Bill,
Eiswein requires the grapes to be frozen to concentrate the sugars. These are botrytized to the same effect. The bordelais rarely gets frost, so eiswein cannot be produced there like it can be in Alsace or Germany. Both processes give delicious dessert or aperitif wines.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinIt constantly amazes us how knowledgeable you are on such a wide variety of subjects.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
These have turned to (rather seedy) raisins.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the major chateau of Monbazillac, which has a boutique and well organized tour. What we liked was their large and shaded parking lot/ picnic area. We chose a table overlooking the chateau and vines, and picnicked on chicken and potatoes from town, grapes from the field, coffee and hot chocolate and pain au raisins from Saint Georges. This was a truly an  unbeatable picnic, for location, for the food we had, for the shade and the concrete table. I am counting on this blog to help us remember it!

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nearby, this raptor was flying, way high. It's hard to focus on such a thing. I wonder what it was.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNeat. A red kite, I’m pretty sure.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Here is a blowup, for what it's worth.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left the chateau, and almost immediately the landscape had changed. Now the vines were gone, though there was this lovely farm house:

Heart 4 Comment 0
No more vines!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our destination of Castillonnes was a "bastide", or fortified town. In the day  (starting from 1259) there were only four (I think) gates.  Even today it was not exactly easy to find our way into the town. At least two of the four ways are stairs only.

Stairs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie is finding some way in!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was called the Valet's gate. In medieval times a valet was a person charged with locking the gate at night. The town had 8 such people.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The fortified nature of the town was for a reason. For example, in the Hundred Years War (1337-1453) there were nine battles here. The church (1265) was destroyed three times - once in the Hundred Years War once in the Wars of Religion, and once by a windstorm.

At the main square, opposite our BnB.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hotel de Ville
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the church what is called a "retable" stands in front of the altar. The retable block what was once a window there, resulting in a lack of light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the altar, the famous "mystic lamb".
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our host tonight differed from Phillippe and Nanou in ways that both Dodie and I picked up on independently and instantly. It started with some weirdness on the phone about how we had to arrive before 16:00 because he was leaving to bring his daughter to the hospital. When I said if we miss the deadline we will just wait, there was no real response. It seemed to be do or die. We responded by taking a more direct but bigger road than perhaps we would have. But when we arrived, with 15 minutes to spare, he had already gone, yet someone was there to let us in.

When the man returned, about 5, we were well installed in our room. But here is where the little off notes crept in. He told us that he normally gave out the wifi password only by QR code, and if our laptop could not handle that, we needed some other device. He advised us to close the window at night due to chill, and he said he disabled the heaters to prevent people from "abusing" them. And when we helpfully mentioned that we had seen a set of keys lying around in the corridor, he said that this was his house and he might have any of his stuff lying around anywhere.  This, on reflection, is the key determinant and red flag with these BnB hosts. If they ever  say "this is my house", followed by any of a number of conditions or rules (Lock the front door when leaving, don't lock the front door, close the window, keep your room door closed, don't eat in the room, don't charge batteries in the room, don't use the heater, breakfast is at this time and not at that time, etc. etc) then that is the clue that they do not have a positive hosting attitude. On the other hand, if it is "make yourself at home" and "let me know if you need anything", and if they want to know where you are from and where you are going, then it's all good.

We went out for a spin around the bastide (taking care to lock the front door of the BnB). Because it's a fortified hilltop thing, there was one basic street down and one back. Interesting, though!

And p.s., you are reading this because that other person, the one that let us in, inadvertently gave us the wifi code!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,203 km (1,368 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0