The Path - La Terre de Feu - CycleBlaze

November 24, 2023

The Path

My first solo bike trip, a ride of 2750 km. First part will be on the Carretera Austral road in Chile. Lots of water and wild camping spots. This is a dead end road terminating in O'Higgins Villa. The trick afterwards is hopping on two small boats  and riding on a tough trail thru the forest. Quite amazing that they have border crossing guards on the trail.

This trail will lead me to the town of El Chalten in Argentina, walking distance to Fitz Roy mountain. Will be spending four days hiking and drinking good coffee in town.

The second part gets to be more exposed. Less water spots and food stores.

Biking to El Calafate with short visit to Perito Moreno glacier by bus or boat. Then the highlight of the trip, six day hiking trip in the Torres del Paine park (I hope)

Cycling towards the end, it will be cold, desolate and very windy.

Trip planning based on grocery stores since there can be 300 km between them. Only two mountain passes worth putting on the map. (Oops forgot one after Chaiten 600m) Seven ferrys, three border crossings. 60 % unpaved road. A few cyclists encountered pumas at night. 

The bicycle icon is where you should turn off the Carretera Austral to by pass O’Higgins Villa dead end.
Heart 2 Comment 1
roxane boutinPerd toi pas lala!!
-Ta fille qui t'aime
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Should read Perito Moreno (Brown dog) not Pepito Moreno.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mark BinghamThis looks really ambitious, and adventurous. I'm looking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Rich FrasierWhat an epic ride! Good luck! I’ll be looking forward to updates.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago