New Gadgets - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2019

New Gadgets

We’re taking the Seavo again this year.  Last year we only had the bike three days before we left on our trip, so we had several ‘new bike’ shakedown and fit issues.  It took us about a week on the road before we got everything adjusted, but there were some things that we couldn’t fix on the road – the primary one being Jeanna’s seat.  The original seat pan was too deep and hit the back of her legs.  In addition, the seat was so low that she couldn’t see anything towards the front except my back.  With the help of the good folks at RANS, both issues have been resolved.  RANS sent us a new seat pan and pad that they had shaved down and Jeanna found a piece of foam which I shaped and added as a booster seat.  It looks a little weird, but she is comfortable and can see, so she is a happy stoker!

The ultimate Stoker seat!
Heart 2 Comment 3
Alain AbbateI often dream about having that much padding on long bike rides.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateThe seat is so comfortable. It was pretty uncomfortable last year because the seat pan was so deep. Now it is perfect. You guys need to get a recumbent!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ken GassThe MOST important upgrade!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

I also added a few new gadgets to the bike over the winter.  We both have new Garmin Edge 1030’s, thanks to my dumping the bike this spring and knocking off and breaking my Garmin.  Along with the new Garmin’s, I bought tethers for them. At least, if we dump the bike again, the computers should be safe.

Hopefully the tether will prevent this Garmin from kissing a rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Along with the new Garmin’s, we purchased a Garmin RTL510 which is a rear taillight and radar.  The radar is surprisingly useful.  For each car it detects, it displays a dot on the side of our Garmin screen.  The dots progress to the top of the screen as the car gets nearer and then disappears when it passes.  No longer does Jeanna have to constantly call out “Car Back”.  Another nice thing about this unit is that it displays the information on both our Garmin’s, so we have built in redundancy.  For those interested, here’s a link to see the unit in action: https://youtu.be/KVkzmf7Opls

Our new radar / taillight
Heart 1 Comment 0
Modification to the TailRider for the radar / taillight
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another gadget I procured this winter was Quark’s Tyrewiz, which is a Bluetooth enabled remote tire pressure monitoring system.  This truly is a gadget, but I love it.  I’m a bit anal about checking the tire pressure each day.  No longer do I have to get out the tire gauge, kneel down to take off the valve cover, unscrew the valve cap and then try to get a good reading on the gauge.  Now all I have to do is turn my Garmin on and spin the wheels.  LIFE IS GOOD!! 😊  On surprising thing I have learned since installing these is how much the tire pressure varies during a ride.  When going from shade (cooler pavement) to sunlight ( warmer pavement) I have noticed up to a 5 PSI difference.  (I don’t know if that’s really important, but it is entertaining to see)

The Tyrewiz. The only downside I've found is that you have to remove it to change a flat, and there is a very small rubber grommet and nut that could easily get misplaced.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here's the tire pressure displayed on the Garmin. 89.8 PSI in the front and 99.7 PSI in the rear. Close enough to the 90 / 100 that Continental tech support recommended I use.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Finally, here is a homemade gadget to help me change a flat on the front tire.  Due to the geometry of a recumbent, you can't remove the front tire and rest the bike on the front fork, so with a little PVC and some dowels I created a fork stand.  I looks crude, but it works!!

Here is my homemade fork mount ready to use.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Ken GassIt actually worked well in real life too!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Fork mount broken down and ready to pack. The dowels are inside the PVC and it all lays nice and flat in the seat bag.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Janet Anspach-RickeyWe are still in North Carolina! Great riding. Planning on heading out along the OBX on Sunday. Will roll on into Virginia the end of next week. Janet
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Janet Anspach-RickeyWe're looking forward to getting on the road again. It looks like we'll be following in your tire tracks much of the way. Your route descriptions are proving helpful.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jacques CharronJeanna and Kerry,
Have a great and safe trip 2019 and we’re looking forward to meet you somewhere in Canada 🇨🇦
I was totally “flabbergasted” to see your new gadgets very ingenious!
Cheers!
Jacques and Lise
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Jacques CharronHaving such good friends to meet up with is a real motivation to keep going on these long trips. It will be great to see you guys again.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago