Day 68 Wiscasset, ME - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2019

Day 68 Wiscasset, ME

A Magnificent Maine Morning

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was actually a magnificent Maine day, but the alluring alliterative appeal  of "magnificent Maine morning" was too tantalizingly tempting.

My friend who told me summer does not come to Maine until July was right -today feels like summer, finally!

We left the Clarion at a very civilized 10:00 AM.  The route took us around the "Back Cove" and the view was beautiful.

You can see downtown Portland across the water.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Just north of the city, we crossed the Martin's Point Bridge over the Presumpscot River.  

The Presumpscot River looking east
Heart 2 Comment 0
It's a little hard to read, but this is the history of bridges across the river at Martin's Point.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Information about the restoration of the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

To celebrate the return of nesting ospreys, an artist created this metal sculpture of an osprey on her nest.  It sits above the bridge.

Heart 2 Comment 0
A bucolic Maine morning scene
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near Freeport was the headquarters of map company DeLorme.  They used to have a shop and exhibits about their mapping products there.  Garmin bought DeLorme, so when Kerry saw the big Garmin sign there, he decided we should check it out.  It turns out that Garmin has only offices there, no retail presence.  The 3 story high globe DeLorme installed is still there though, and we enjoyed seeing it again.

DeLorme's Eartha. Built in 1998, at 41 feet in diameter, it is the world's largest revolving and rotating globe
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped in the very pretty town of Brunswick for lunch.  It is the home of Bowdoin College.  This is a picture of the town green.  It feels like a classic New England college town.  Lunch was good and we were relaxed and happy and ready for our final 16 miles when we left.

The Brunswick town mall
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLooks comforting
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Leaving Brunswick, we encountered some heavier traffic.  We took the lane to go through a traffic signal and this driver suddenly swerved around us and cut us off.  Jerk of the day!

Heart 2 Comment 3
Keith A. SpanglerNice image Jeanna - becareful my friends
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Mike AylingNice shot of her/his number plate to warn others!

Mike
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike AylingIt was a guy. I tried to make sure he could see me taking a picture of his plate, thinking it might make him worry a little bit and think twice about doing something so reckless and stupid again.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The rest of the ride was good.  We tackled some big hills, but managed to pedal up all of them.  

My last picture for today is this "only in Maine" restaurant architecture.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,605 miles (4,192 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerAre you guys going to Bar Harbor? If so, make sure to walk across the inlet or bay at low tide, just cool to do.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago