Day 54 Middleborough, MA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2019

Day 54 Middleborough, MA

Heart 0 Comment 0

Anthony rode with us today from his house to our hotel here in Middleborough.   I can't talk more about today's ride until I mention the fabulous dinner Barbara and Anthony fixed last night. They made swordfish with grilled vegetable that was so delicious.  We were joined by Will and his wife Christine.  With the wonderful food and great company, it was up there with the most memorable nights of the trip so far.

 It was a very good ride today.  It was warm, which was a nice change and we had good roads most of the way.  We are continuing to get away from urban areas as we ride farther from the NYC area and the Connecticut shore.

We left Barb and Anthony's a little after 9AM and rode through Warwick and Cranston, as well as some smaller communities, on the way to Providence.

We had miles of quiet roads. There were some busier and rougher, but I didn't take pictures of those.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Anthony took us to a spot near Warwick to get good pictures of Narragansett Bay.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerDid you see Rose Island Lighthouse?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

When encountering a sign like this, it's particularly nice to have a local rider to follow.  The detour was only a couple of blocks.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We just followed Anthony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Cranston, we got another gorgeous view of Narragansett Bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This Cranston view is for my brother, Nelson, to stoke his boat dreams.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Past Cranston, we got into the city of Providence.  We had some rough roads with lots of rail crossings for a short distance.  We saw the industrial side of Providence "up close and personal".  I have no pictures of that.  We were really bouncing around on the road - too much to try to take photos.

We stopped at Anthony's favorite coffee shop for a break and to meet up with his daughter's father-in-law who is an avid cyclist.  While we were there, one of Anthony's partners came in, so we had an audience to hear about the bike and our trip.  We never get tired of that conversation!

Checking out the bike
Heart 1 Comment 4
Kathleen JonesLove the location for you and your audience.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich McKayI can't believe that somebody would throw out a perfectly good recumbent tandem!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen JonesSometimes we have to take what we can get when we need to park the bike. This was behind a coffee shop. At least it didn't stink!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayYes, that was it. the guys were trying to decide if someone should just get on and ride it away. Kerry volunteered.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Angus, the father-in-law, Kerry, Ken, the partner, and Anthony. It was fun meeting you guys.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Leaving Providence, we crossed the Providence River on this nice bike bridge adjacent to I-195.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

Not too far east of Providence, we entered Massachusetts.  This part of the ride was really nice.  We had great roads and scenery.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This last picture is for Liz. (I hope she's reading our blog.) Like this mailbox?
Heart 3 Comment 5
Liz ReddingOf course I'm reading it! Love the chicken......
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich McKayAs a retired letter carrier... all I can say is "thank God the rooster isn't facing the other direction!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Liz ReddingI couldn't believe it when I saw another one of these today. Must be a Massachusetts thing.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKaySo, now I have to ask. Where's the worst place you ever had to stick the mail?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich McKayTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithI've led a relatively sheltered life. There really haven't been any "worst" places... only odd ones. In an old residential area in Boise, where mailboxes by the front door were common, one guy nailed a ratty little box on a tree in his front yard. Unless someone told you where to look, it was a 50/50 chance whether the carrier would actually find the box or not. Another was in Boise's "North End" as well; someone had a wood burning stove on their front porch as decoration. They wanted the mail put in the stove by lifting one of the metal burner plates up. This also drove new people nuts unless they were warned in advance of what to look for.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 2,074 miles (3,338 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michael and Diane RuddockDiane likes the mailbox!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago