Day 109 Levis, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2019

Day 109 Levis, QC

Heart 2 Comment 0

We woke to rain this morning, as we expected.  After breakfast at the inn, we walked across the street to a museum we had seen last night after we got in.  It's the Quebec Maritime Museum.  I'm sure we've been to at least a dozen maritime museums on this trip, large and small, but it is still enjoyable to look around.  This one was dedicated to boating on the St. Lawrence.  There was a sign forbidding flash photography, so I don't have any pictures.  They had some interesting videos of people talking about their experiences on the river - good ones and tragic ones.  One of the exhibits was about the ice boats which carried people, supplies and mail across during the winter.  It was like traveling in a wooden boat over broken  mountains of ice.  They paddled, they pushed, pulled and dragged and even carried the boats to get across.  It was so much fun, that there were actually ice boat races across the river!

After about 90 minutes at the museum, we had seen most of it and the rain had stopped, so we loaded up and took off.

This is what an August morning in Quebec looks like:

Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLook cold dawg!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerYou do (look cold) burrrr
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

It was in the 50's with a strong, cold headwind.  It did warm up in the afternoon, but we had a strong headwind all day long.

After today, we'll be away from the river for about ten days while we ride through the eastern townships of Quebec.  Here are a few of nice views to enjoy in the meantime.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerNice framing Jeanna!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks - that's an especially nice compliment from you!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The best thing about today was the people we met.  We are still seeing lots of cyclists, most local riders, but quite a number loaded for touring.

We met Scott, who is from Burlington, ON.  He took the train west to Vancouver and is now getting close to the finish of his TransCanada trip in Halifax.

Scott
Heart 3 Comment 0

We met Nancy and Patrick who are on the first day of a one month round trip from Quebec City.  First up the south side of the St. Lawrence, then across and down the north side back to Quebec.  They have a new CoMotion Mocha with belt drive.  We were jealous.  We REALLY miss our belts.  Kerry when he is cleaning, lubing and otherwise maintaining 20 feet of chain and I when I'm trying to get grease off myself, our clothes and everything that goes on the bike.

Nancy & Patrick
Heart 3 Comment 0

The most fun today was our conversation with Henri and Liliane who live in Levis.  They also enjoy cycling and I think were ready to take off on our tandem!  We are so glad we met them.

Henri and Liliane
Heart 3 Comment 0

With our late start and the relentless headwinds, we didn't get in until 6PM this evening.  I think it's our latest arrival this summer.  But we're here now and ready to sleep well tonight.  

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 4,089 miles (6,581 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerIt is so cool that you take time to shoot images of your new friends. It makes the reading fun for us.....
Reply to this comment
4 years ago