The Dalles - An American Summer, 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2023 to August 9, 2023

The Dalles

Tuesday

Today began as I wish more of them did, with Rachael and I sitting at the kitchen counter sipping coffee and helpfully looking in while Rachel chops vegetables for the omelet she is preparing us.  When she and Patrick come to visit us someday in our future home we’ll be happy to break out the omelet pan and return the favor, but in the meantime we’re content to let them build up some credit.

We’re on the road not long past eight, on the not terribly long drive to The Dalles.  We have a couple of possible bike rides in mind, including one right here.  There would be worse ways to start the day than going back to the Greenbelt and exploring the miles we missed yesterday when we stopped to help Shelby.  More enticing though is a ride down Reith Road, the back road between Pendleton and Umatilla that follows the Umatilla River - we rode it eight years ago on our way back from Walla Walla, and it’s a ride I’d love to repeat some day.

Not today though, because there’s a new development - Rachael’s knee, the one she scraped on that fall back by Lake Louise, is troubling her more this morning and she thinks she’s in need of a rare day off.  So we just drive.

There’s little to say about the drive, except to take note of the disaster that didn’t happen.  Somewhere west of Ontario, after it’s too late to do anything about it, I look at the gas gauge and wonder if there’s any risk of running out of fuel before we make Baker City.  I don’t think so, but as we continue driving I start to worry.  The gauge is working it’s way toward the red zone faster than I expected, which reflects the fact that we really haven’t had the Raven that long and I’m still learning its quirks.  

Eventually I decide that it’s too close a call, and we either need to find a station on the way or turn back to Ontario while there’s still time.  Rachael consults the phone and I’m relieved to hear that there’s a station just 13 miles away; so as long as it’s actually open we’ll be fine.  And we are fine.  Before we get to the station though, we hit the red zone and the dash warning alerts me that I’ve got about 50 miles left in the tank.  So we’d probably have been fine in any case, since Baker City was only 45 miles away at the time.  

Oh, and there’s one other thing to say about the drive.  We stopped for a snack break in Pendleton, at the excellent Buckin Bean, a coffee & pastry shop with excellent eats and a lot of character that’s just the sort of place we were hoping to find in Baker City two days earlier.  We’ll have to remember this place if we’re back through Pendleton some day.

Even with those two breaks it’s still only about two when we arrive in The Dalles after picking up an hour when we cross the time zone for the sixth time.  Too early to check in to our room, so we head down to the waterfront for lunch as our main meal of the day, enjoying the view of the bridge and dam and being amazed at the number of pelicans gathered out in the middle of the river.

All those pelicans! There must be fifty of them out there.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We check in to our room at The Dalles Inn around four, and spend the next several hours in the room avoiding the oppressive heat.  Toward sundown though I head down to the waterfront, thinking I might see some birds on the river along the Riverfront Trail.  I don’t really, other than a few gulls too far off to distinguish; but as compensation I find the Bargeway Pub, and a pleasant spot to sit on the deck and enjoy the views over an IPA.

The view across the river to Dallesport.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Janice BranhamWe loved the Bargeway, such a beautiful spot.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

Wednesday

Rachael’s knee is no better today, so a ride or walk on the way home is out.   We can’t check into our Airbnb for the next month until noon and we have to be out of our hotel by 11, so we pick 10:30 as a departure time and I go out for a walk along the Riverfront Trail.  My knees feel better after the walk than when I started, reminding me that I really do need to start working walks into the routine more frequently.  And it’s a very enjoyable walk that surprisingly reels in a new bird for the list, although best was the flock of vultures on the beach that let me approach surprisingly close to them.

Looking cross at Dallesport again. The Dalles sits in such a beautiful spot. I’d really be happy to make it over here more often than we do.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I wasted too much time looking through all the sparrow pics before deciding this was just a female or immature house finch.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Graham FinchAn 'immature finch'... I can relate to that.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchSnort!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
I forget. Help me out here.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltDid you sniff it? Ailanthus stinks! Very invasive too. There is a spot along our local bike path that is unwalkable due to the density of them, yet 2 years ago, it was just grass.

https://wiki.bugwood.org/Ailanthus_altissima
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltNope - my sniffer has been inoperative for the last 76 years. Thanks for the ID though.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYeah, understood...

Take a leaf back to your other half to sniff?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Wow, another good look at a belted kingfisher. That’s two this month.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Missing a few primaries. Looks like he’s been in a dogfight.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I was surprised to see this flock of turkey vultures soaring ahead. Later on I’d find them all hanging out on the beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridge and buzzard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vulture, what big feet you have! I’ve never noticed.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsNot the most visually appealing birds in all creation, are they? But they're sure prolific and capable soarers.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYou’re right about their appearance, but we’re lucky to have them around as a clean-up crew. I thank them for their service.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
OK. I agree. Close enough.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Train shot. There can never be too many of them.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Janice BranhamI find the trains to be so companionable, especially when we're riding alongside them.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamSo do I. It tickled me on a ride from Radium a few weeks back when I waved at an engineer and elicited a toot from one. I was sorry Rachael didn’t catch it on video.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsOyster beds? But what's the tank-like structure all about?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsDefinitely not oysters. We’re about 150 miles inland here, and oysters require brackish water. My guess is these are likings of a former wharf. I wonder about the tank myself but can’t find anything about it.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Looking back toward town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
#179: California gull
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsCall me gullible: I never knew there were so many varieties of gull.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

So we’re back in town again, for 31 days this time - the minimum stay that allows us to avoid the exorbitant short term lodging tax.  Sad to say, we find that we don’t care for this spot too much and we’re not that enthusiastic about being back in town either.  We’re glad of the chance to catch up with friends and family but there’s no doubt we’ll be ready to leave for Spain when the time comes.

In the meantime, I’m not sure how much activity we’ll report on here.  The lights aren’t going out on this journal yet but they’re definitely dimming.  Certainly they’ll flicker enough to illuminate any new birds that walk across the stage, but don’t be surprised if it’s pretty quiet here for the next four weeks.  See you whenever.

In the other Caffe Umbria, the one downtown closer to our current apartment. An impressive bit of color coordination, and a chance to brag on the fact that I still haven’t lost this pair.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraBefore reading this caption, I thought he'd better not lose those!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Bill Shaneyfelt...Yet? :-)

Why I have strings.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Keith AdamsBefore reading the caption my immediate reaction was "Don't forget to take those glasses with you!" ;-)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Patrick O'HaraYou're Canadian adventure/road trip was a joy to read. Thanks for taking the time to write these up everyday.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Keith Adams"I look at the gas gauge and wonder if there’s any risk of running out of fuel before we make Baker City. "

About 40 years ago, the outdoor columnist / humor writer Patrick McManus published collections of his columns in book form ("A Fine and Pleasant Misery", "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" and possibly others). One column had to do with running out of gas, and asserted that the only thing more exciting and riveting than actually doing so is being acutely aware that your supply is low and *almost* running out. Nothing catches and holds your attention in quite so riveting a way as a gas gauge that hovers near and moves inexorably toward that ominous "E" marker.

The advent of the Low Fuel Warning light, and its associated estimate of remaining range, has really eroded the effect and drama.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith Adams"We stopped for a snack break in Pendleton, at the excellent Buckin Bean, a coffee & pastry shop with excellent eats and a lot of character that’s just the sort of place we were hoping to find in Baker City two days earlier. We’ll have to remember this place if we’re back through Pendleton some day."

One of my favorite stops last year, because of the delightful couple I spent over an hour chatting with (Tiffany and Ray, https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/rejuvenation/0708-halfway/), was the Coffee Corral Roasters in Baker City. You could do far worse than enjoy a cup of their dark roast and a chocolate chocolate chip muffin.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThanks for pointing that out. It’s just the sort of place we were hoping to find a few days earlier but unfortunately it was Sunday and they were closed.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThis is really true. One of our strongest driving memories is from nearly 20 years ago, driving home from a bike tour of the Northern California coast. We had about forty miles to cover then on a nearly empty tank before the next station. I put the car into neutral at the top of every hill, and prayed a lot. We were reminiscing over that day on this drive.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Bob DistelbergI’m one of those “Time to fill up as soon as it dips below half a tank” kind of people. The few times I’ve been traveling and ended up in one of those close to E situations, it was very unsettling. Come to think of it, it’s the same with recharging the various devices.
Thanks for sharing your Canadian trip. The photos and scenery were just spectacular. Such a beautiful area.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Bob KoreisOn pro about being back in PDX is that your location is probably within a reasonable walk to St Honore. Fantastic patisserie/boulangerie.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob KoreisThanks for the reminder. That really is a great spot, but I haven’t been there for years. I’ll have to try to stitch it into an outing.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergI’ve made many resolutions to become such a person, but it just doesn’t seem to be in my genes. It doesn’t take me long to revert to type.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jacquie GaudetAl has run out of gas exactly once in his life, so he's doing pretty well (but I'm doing better). We were on our way home from cycling in to Victoria to visit relatives (we prefer not to take the car on the ferry) so our older son just took his bike off the rack and rode home. Chip off the old block.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI’ve been close enough to sweat a few times, but it’s been at least 40 years since I actually ran out and walked for gas. I don’t remember it at all clearly, and can’t even say for sure there was just the one time. There are a few things I’ve gotten better at as I age, at least.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago