Sauvie Saturday x 2 - An American Summer, 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2023

Sauvie Saturday x 2

Different day, same old ride.  We just biked out to Sauvie a week ago, following exactly the same route today as then.  I almost didn’t even bring the camera since we’ve seen it all so recently anyway, but at the last minute I changed my mind and grabbed it.  A good thing too - it’s the same ride, but sunny this time instead of overcast; and the air is so clear today that all four of the neighboring volcanos are visible.  It makes quite a difference, really.

Mount Saint Helens and the Sauvie Island Bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
If you squint, you can see Mount Adams straight ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And to the right, Hood. And where’s Rachael, btw?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Has it really been fifteen years since the new bridge came in? It’s hard to remember what the old one was like now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re in chicory season.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rachael saw this shot and thought it was a sculpture. She’s not wrong, really: “windmill sculpted by time and the elements.”
Heart 3 Comment 0
Got a new coat of paint since the last time I noticed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Definitely roses.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are a few spots on the island where you can see all four volcanoes. Here’s one. In this direction are Saint Helens on the right, and Rainier barely visible on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And looking in the other direction we have cows and the West Hills. I’d zoom in on one of those cows, if I still had a working zoom camera.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat are you using? Your phone or ? Have you got a new camera on order? It is sooo frustrating when you are without the ability to take photos as you are accustomed.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesNo, I’ve got an LX10 as my backup that I take along on tours in case it’s needed. It’s actually a better camera in some ways (better lens, and a bit more of a wide angle) but lacks the zoom so it’s less versatile.

The new camera is due to arrive today sometime, so I can start watching for the birds gain soon.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Red-winged blackbird in the catbird seat.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesNice, even without zoom.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks. I was pleasantly surprised myself. I’m sorry to have missed the matching one that got away though, of an osprey in front of Mount Adams. I remember framing the shot but must have failed to chilly snap it.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The potato crew.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s all in the timing during irrigation season. Ours was off today. Splat! Splat! Splat! Splat!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh, Mount Adams!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Framed.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Saturday Market on Wilson Street, a new one we haven’t seen before. Bit by bit, Portland really does seem to be rebounding.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 253 miles (407 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0