Some news - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2023

Some news

No, it’s not news about my ablation procedure, which isn’t scheduled until tomorrow - and because of that we’ve got an early day ahead of us since we have to show up at the hospital at 6:30.  It’s something else.

I hadn’t thought to post again until after the procedure, let folks know whatever there was to know at that time, and then shut down the journal and move on.  I’ll do that soon enough, but first I have to report that a new bird was seen.  It’s important to announce these events as they happen, and it didn’t seem right to put it off.  I’ll keep it brief though, because it’s already almost nine and as I said we’ve got an early morning ahead.

First though, as long as I’ve opened up the page here anyway, here are a couple of photos from a short walk I took at Oaks Bottom a few days ago after dropping my BF off at Sellwood Cycle Repair for some cycle repair.  No new birds on this outing - in fact not too many birds at all - but I came away with a few photos worth passing on, including what I think is probably the best photo of a great blue heron I’ve ever taken.

Looking across the lake at Oaks Bottom.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s a beautiful time of year here right now, compensation for cutting our tour of Spain shorter than originally planned. We’re not often home until later in the year any more.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hawk and harasser.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This was a beautiful sight, hunched over up in the trees on the edge of the lake. So much color, and such an intent gaze!
Heart 15 Comment 0

And then today I finally got out for a bit of a ride, before it’s too late - I’ll have to take it easy for at least a few days after tomorrow, and beyond that it looks like the rains will be settling in for a long spell.  It wasn’t much of a ride - 18 miles, out north to the Columbia Slough and back.  

It’s a rewarding place to show up at this time of year, much more active than under the bright sun and heat of summer.  Quite a few birds around, and though some were too far off to identify for sure I still came away with over fifteen species - not bad for just a slow half mile ride alongside the slough.  For the record, I saw: Canada goose, American crow, Great blue heron, Great egret, Double-crested cormorant, Belted kingfisher, Gadwall, Hooded merganser, Common merganser, Killdeer, Green-winged teal, American kestrel, Pied-billed grebe, Mallard, Lesser goldfinch, Rock dove, Iceland gull.

That’s it for now.  Wish me luck tomorrow.  I’ll let you know how it goes, but probably not for a few days.  Might as well wait for the sedation to wear off.

I don’t recall ever seeing the slough this dry. There’s more water in it still by the time we normally leave town in the fall, and by the time we return it’s been recharged by the rainy season.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanIt won't last long. The forecast is for a lot of rain in the next few days. Inches of rain.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Another heron shot. Such a long neck!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hooded merganser.
Heart 2 Comment 1
marilyn swettGood catch! These ducks migrate through Denver in the winter and I would often see them on the river trail.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Honkers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Snoozers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
American kestrel. This is another one that feels like my best ever shot of this bird. They seldom let me get close enough to see this much detail.
Heart 10 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraNice one. What a handsome bird the Kestrel is.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
#206: Iceland gull. Until a few years ago this was regarded as a separate species, the Thayer’s gull. It’s been reclassified as one of several races of the Iceland gull.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along Bybee Lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Downtown, from Waud’s Bluff. Such a spectacular time of year here.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Below is a video Rachael took with her new phone a Galaxy S 23.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 20
Kathleen ClassenThinking of you. All the best tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenIt be nice to get that surgery behind you. When it’s all done bring on those hills.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Andrea BrownYou'll do great, Scott. Maybe Rachael can post an update tomorrow sometime? All the best.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kelly IniguezHere’s wishing you the absolute best results tomorrow and a speedy recovery.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Bruce LellmanShould be a breeze for you tomorrow, Scott. But good luck. Good thing you didn't schedule it for the day after tomorrow, but Halloween will be fine. I suppose the doctor will wear a doctor costume.

Can't wait to have coffee with you.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Jacquie GaudetI'll be thinking of you tomorrow and looking forward to hearing good news.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
David MathersBest wishes for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery ❤️‍🩹
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Betsy EvansAll the best to you! Please keep us posted.

I feel like I’ve come to Europe just when everyone else has gone home.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith AdamsBest wishes and good luck! I'm looking forward to many, many more episodes in The Continuing Adventures of Team Anderson.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt is almost 0630, if you count in Spanish time, so we are sending you many good wishes and are waiting to hear good news whenever you, or Rachael, feels up to posting.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltHeal well... and listen to your body. Well, I guess you have already learned to do that!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Andrea BrownI definitely will let everyone know how it’s going! Kaiser has a great hospital! They have set me up to get text alerts on what’s going on. Also, they have great healthy food in the cafeteria!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI definitely will post something once I know more. The hospital is great! They have me setup to receive alerts at key points of the operation.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Jen RahnSeeing all these birds before going in for surgery must have felt great. Love the heron photo!

And when you wake up, you will see Rachael's smile. 🌞

Sounds like you will have what you need for a comfortable wait time today, Rachael.

Thinking about both of you!

💜❇️☮️
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamBarry and I are thinking of you both, and send our best wishes.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Bob DistelbergI’m posting this shortly after noon EDT so I’m guessing the procedure might be going on as I type. So, sending you my most positive vibes. Hope it all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
marilyn swettThinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery! Keep on with a journal after your procedure. I so enjoy seeing your bird and scenery pictures.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Eva WaltersAl and I send you all our best wishes for successful surgery and a speedy recovery. We look forward to following your next cycling adventures.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Betsy EvansThanks, Betsy. You’re right, we all go home and then you show up! I’d been thinking that fter the Branhams close their book there’d be nothing interesting to read for the coming months. You can enjoy knowing how envious we’ll all be!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnAnd a new bird! Clearly a favorable sign too.🦆
Reply to this comment
6 months ago