Day 24: Peñafiel to Lerma - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2023

Day 24: Peñafiel to Lerma

If throughout this journey I have mentioned wind, please disregard the comment or the notion.  We have not had any wind until today!!!!  And the wind was wicked - 30 kilometers per hour and mostly a headwind with a bit of northeast crosswind.  It was a day that we call "survival of the fittest" and we all made it eventually.  There was very little venturing around to see the villages we cycled past.  There was very little picture taking along the way.  There was very little time spent stopping to smell the roses (actually none).  

As we were turning right I noticed this hill in the distance with something on top, but sadly we weren't going to explore today. Notice the blue sky.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I did notice vineyards today. We actually rode past quite a few.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We stopped briefly because I had to check out this field. My app confirmed that it was peas - seemed odd to us since peas would already be harvested in the Pacific Northwest. You can also see the castle of Peñafiel in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More pea fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wonderful mural as we entered the village of Torresandino. Notice the not so blue skies now!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Roxan had been riding our wheel this morning, so we stopped in Torresandino for a few minutes to give our backsides a break. The plane trees have been grafted in some beautiful ways.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These two planes have had branches grafted together.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh, I need to take photos . . . another view of a green wheat field lined by wildflowers.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The group discussed today's ride at our Happy Hour and we all agreed, it was a beautiful ride, but we didn't really see much of it.  We all had our head down fighting the wind trying to move forward.  I guess if you are out riding for a month, we can't be guaranteed good weather every day.

View from our room - the Plaza Mayor of Lerma.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We did venture out of the parador this afternoon to see the tiny village of Lerma.  Actually, the parador seems to be the largest building and it was the Palace of the Duke & Duchess

Courtyard in front of the first church we found.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entry to the church in Lerma which is attached to a convent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The altar - this church was small and very basic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Path downhill to another spire - what will we find?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another larger church that was locked, and we later learned that it was a monastery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Street scene in Lerma.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Spanish poet and playwright, José Zorrila.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On our walk back to the parador, we saw this house with interesting objects sitting on the window sills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our parador was the Ducal Palace which was built on top of a medieval castle. History indicates that a Spanish queen gave birth to a prince here, and Napoleon Bonaparte once spent the night here. So much history.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The interior courtyard of the Parador de Lerma.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And in the garage next to where we parked our bicycles was a reserved space for the Morgan Car Club.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Two beautiful Morgans with Spanish plates were parked here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The weather report given at Happy Hour didn't make any of us too happy.  Tomorrow's winds are supposed to be stronger and all from the north and northeast.  We're heading east and then north.  Sigh!

Day 24: Peñafiel to Lerma
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 693 km (430 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0