Day 23: Sepúlveda to Peñafiel - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2023

Day 23: Sepúlveda to Peñafiel

Today began with the same multilayers of clothing: tights, arm warmers, vests, wind jackets, fingered gloves.  We seem to be stuck on 4C these days.  We've also been told that we may be facing headwinds all day - sigh!  The good news, no rain in the forecast and possible sun sighting.

Someone said we'd be riding across the plains of Spain . . . well, so far the plains of Spain aren't flat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We're headed down that gorge which means we'll have to climb back out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gigantic cave mouth across the river from our road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Simple scenery as we cruise along.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Apparently we are riding in an area well known for vultures and we saw at least 15 of them circling above us. That's what the specs up in the clouds are: Eurasian griffon vultures. I believe they are the largest vulture.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were told about a possible side trip down a dirt road to a monastery that overlooks the gorge.  Of course we had to go see for ourselves and the view didn't disappoint.  

Embalse de Burgomillado (a reservoir)
Heart 1 Comment 0
The monastery across the way
Heart 3 Comment 0
View towards the dam
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water color was bright
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chuck, Bill, Michelle, & David G.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I wonder if troglodytes used those cuts in the canyon walls ages ago . . .
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lonesome poppy
Heart 3 Comment 0

We continued down the road until we came to the small village of Fuentidueña with castle ruins on top of the hill.  We climbed up the hill through town and found an old church, Iglesia San Martin, but it was locked up tight.  There was fencing all around the access to the castle ruins keeping it from being easily accessible and we weren't willing to hike up the hill in cycling shoes.  But we wandered around the church and hospital before finding our way through the old village gates.  It was a great little discovery.

Pleasant scenery along the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Iglesia San Martín
Heart 1 Comment 0
Who's watching you?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Side entry into the church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poppies are everywhere this part of our trip and they are a joy to see.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castle wall with stairs
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking through the grilled gate at the inside of what was a hospital built in the 1500s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back uphill at the hospital.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the entry gates to Fuentidueña.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And another entry gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from midway down in the village.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old road into the village . . . glad we've improved roads over the centuries!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezWere you riding on this? My aching tires!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyNo! We didn’t even walk down it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Loved this old door, but wait til you see what it is a door to . . .
Heart 1 Comment 0
This dwelling!
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were two streets like this with dwellings built into the hillside!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This one didn't have a door and we could look down into it. The ceiling is rock, not wood.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And as we came off the hill, we found another church to check out - again, locked tight.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was time to get a move on since we have a winery tour this evening, but that was easier said than done.  We turned into a full on headwind for the last 20 kilometers.  One of those rides where you put your head down and just go . . .

Head down and just ride!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The castle above Peñafiel as we rode into the village.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Peñafiel and found our quaint hotel and then met up with our group to walk over to the Protos Winery for a tour and tasting.  We discovered Protos a couple of years ago when we were in Andorra to see the Tour de France and really enjoyed their wine.  

Protos' welcoming room. Photo courtesy of Jeff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many caverns we walked through. Photo courtesy of Jeff (mine had too many people in it).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Special storage room for the founding families' collection.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The newer facility with large oak barrels.
Heart 2 Comment 0
French oak barrel from Berthomiue Tonnellerie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The amount of barrels was overwhelming! It is a very large production facility. Note the concrete vats in the background, too. Photo courtesy of Jeff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Evening light was just right on our walk back to the hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Another exciting day crossing Spain.  The terrain continues to change, as does the weather.

Day 23: Sepúlveda to Peñafiel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 773 km (480 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0