Lemon tree, very pretty...... - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

October 27, 2021

Lemon tree, very pretty......

Borrego Springs loop, take 1

It is so quiet and peaceful at this campground! We're really enjoying staying here so far. 

There are hardly any campers for some reason. Don thinks it's because the golf course is closed for reseeding and many people come for that amenity. Even if every site was full, they are spread apart with  lots of trees and bushes between the spaces. 

This is the first place on our trip that I can recall seeing and hearing so many birds. We've already been visited by the resident road runner who nearly jumped in my lap for a handout! Plus we've seen several hummingbirds so we put out our feeder. But they've moved so quickly that I haven't been able to ID them or take any pictures.

I spent the morning relaxing outside in my camp chair with my foot elevated as I watched Don finish setting up camp. It was already in the 70's by late morning - quite a change from further north!

After lunch we did a short flat ride to test out my foot. I was itching to do something longer, but knew I'd better not push it so soon. Plus it was pretty hot out which we're just not used to right now. Most other places we've traveled to on this trip have been in the 50's and 60's. 

Our campground is located on Di Giorgio Rd which has hardly any traffic so we took it north until the pavement ended at the boundary of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. At this point we turned around until we got to Big Horn Rd and rode that for a short way to look at some of the metal sculptures. 

We were out in farm country, and rode by many acres of lemon, grapefruit and orange trees, grape vines and other vegetables. Once more it shows that if you provide water in the desert, you can grow almost anything.

I did pick up a few ripe lemons that had fallen on the ground by the road. But the other fruits weren't ripe yet. We were hoping to see some date groves and maybe buy some locally grown dates since this is their harvest season. But so far, they seem to be located further north near Mecca and Coachela.

My foot did fine on the ride but I did stay off of it the rest of the day. It was so relaxing to just sit outside reading and watching the birds! 

Don went to one of the local grocery stores but was very disappointed with their selection and prices. So he didn't come home with much. We'll try the other market in a couple of days and see if it's better. 

At 5 pm we walked over to the outdoor amphitheater here at the park to listen to some live music provided by a local couple while enjoying some snacks. That was kind of fun. The wife was a good singer and guitar player. She performed some great folk music, but her husband wasn't too talented. 

We didn't hang around too long as it was getting dark and we still had to cook dinner. It's hard to get used to this Pacific Time zone!

It was so enjoyable to sit outside at the picnic table with our meal. This is the first place we've been able to do that on this trip.

After star gazing for a while after dinner, we headed off to bed. Just another day in paradise!

Good morning! And no, I don't have any handouts for you!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some of the interesting desert critters seen today. They were created by Richard Breceda. There are about 130 sculptures scattered around the desert in this valley. No two are alike and he continues to add to the collection. Many are inspired by creatures that roamed this desert millions of years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a cute one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ripe lemons!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed many acres of citrus trees on our ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The RV park we are staying in is quite empty as you can see. That's ok by us but strange since all of our other campgrounds have been full.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 417 miles (671 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0