Day 72: Saint Florent le Vieil to Angers - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2024

Day 72: Saint Florent le Vieil to Angers

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were somewhat put off 0ur hotel, Le Petit Pecheur, by the fact that we almost could not understand almost a single word the people there said to us. In retrospect we think they might have been speaking Breton, or some hybrid of that and French.  We do not even really know if we paid or not. I went to the young man running the desk and said that I thought I still owed for the night's stay. In the exchange that followed, I got him to speak very slowly, put my hand on his shoulder and cocked my ear. But I had no idea what he said. 

One great thing about the hotel was that our window opened directly on the Loire. Across the river we had a good view of the Saint Florent le Vieil abbey. This is where the people who were shot in the meadow we passed yesterday had been held. Of course the abbey had a long history prior to the Revolution, and a long history since. Today it is (perhaps boringly) serving as an art gallery.

St Florent le Vieil abbey, from the 7th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we set off up the Loire, our main observations were of how fast the river was flowing, and of how much water there was on the not river side of the trail. There has obviously been a lot of flooding, but perhaps its a normal amount for this time of year.

Fast moving river
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water on the not river side of the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
We can not tell if this farm normally has this much water around it. There are some boats parked, but it's not as if they have a permanent dock.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltIf flooding, perhaps they are floating above the dock?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Michel FleuranceThis farm is always surrounded by water.
The up front two doors small front construction used to be the toilets.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

The lan all around is very green, with lots of grass fields, crops like leeks, and many flowers. Wisteria is particularly common, and we see it all over growing wild.

Towns are distinguished by which side of the river they are on. Here, across the river from us is Ingrandes sur Loire. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

On our own side of the river we came upon a strange looking set of structures that were labelled as a coal mine and lime furnace. It is from the 19th century.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Michel FleuranceIl s'agit d'un four à chaux.
Le four à chaux ou chaufour est une catégorie de four à calcination dans lequel on transforme le calcaire en chaux par calcination et accessoirement où l’on cuit la céramique. C'est généralement un ouvrage vertical fixe et ouvert par le haut, mais on trouve également des fours horizontaux et rotatifs.

https://association-ampf-blere.jimdofree.com/dossiers-documentaires/les-fours-à-chaux-de-bléré/un-four-à-chaux-comment-ça-marche/
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

Somewhere after MontJean and before Chalonnes the track jumps onto the totally agricultural Chalonnes Island. This is where we ran into a "route barrée " . Or usual procedure is to ignore these, until we are forced to admit that there really is no way to pass. In this case, we did not see the reason for the closure, but we came to a very thorough barricade. Ok, so we backtracked and went around the blockage.  At the other side there was a similarly convincing barricade, but again no hint of the why. We almost sent me charging along to find the reason, or not, but decided that after all it would not be worth the effort to find out what was going on. Our guess is a flooded road, though that would usually trigger a "route inondée".

Heart 1 Comment 0
Somebody is serious, at this end.
Heart 0 Comment 0
and somebody is serious at the other end. But why?
Heart 2 Comment 0
In this shot we can see what the trail is like, how green everything is, and that Dodie has probably spotted a bird. Let's go get a photo of it...
Heart 3 Comment 0
Aha, a Chaffinch
Heart 3 Comment 0

Looking out to the river, swans could often be seen. They are so common that we usually will no longer get their photo.

Heart 2 Comment 0
...even if they are in an interesting tangle.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch on church steps at Possonieres. Opposite our seat was this fine looking building. It is obvious now that bright white houses with bright orange roofs are a thing of the coast. Here we are into stone walls and dark slate roofs.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Houses and walls are made from stone in this region.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Savenierres, a church with stone and brick combination walls, and Roman arches. It is the church of St Pierre and St Romain. oo bad about the truck in the shot!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretInteresting clockface…
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

The next four shots are also from Savonierres. They just generally illustrate the appearance of the place. We are definitely not in a "sugar cube" village in Spain any more!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Back along the river. this attractive chateau was visible through the trees. It is the chateau of Varennes, from the 17th century, I think.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This dramatic looking rock by the river is called the Becherelle Rock. It was used to mark a point where river tolls were collected in the 15th century. Today people learn rock climbing on it.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Other interesting things popped up as we neared Bouchemain and got ready to head on in to Angers.

One of those iconic river boats.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Michel FleuranceToue cabanée.
Une toue ou toue cabanée est un type de bac servant de bateau de pêche fluvial traditionnel de la Loire, avec ou sans cabane.

Il y a aussi des gabares.
La gabare ou gabarre (de l'occitan gabarra) est un type de bateau traditionnel destiné au transport de marchandises. Deux types de navires sont désignés par ce mot : les gabares fluviales et les gabares maritimes.

11 minutes de visite privée d'une toue cabanée
https://youtu.be/qOqv46ix2y0
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
An interesting house that is now a BnB
Heart 5 Comment 0
Angers is not actually on the Loire, but is on the Maine. The path from the Loire up to Angers runs by the Maine, and often has water on both sides.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first you see of Angers are the distinctive round towers of the chateau. The photo shows perhaps six, but around the corner there are more. Maybe ten in total. It's a dramatic design.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Around the corner at the chateau
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just before crossing the river into Angers, we ran into a troupe of kids on a bike outing. We were interested to see how they were doing, because they were about the size of our own grandchildren.  They seemed fine.

The kids are a bit tangled.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Karen PoretPasadena?? that’s a new one! And why is the gal running on the extreme left? Dodie seems to be part of the pack! :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretPeople here seem to walk and run so they are facing oncoming traffic. In this case the running girl had to stop and wait for the long line of kids to play through before she could move. Dodge had just begun to turn the corner when the herd of kids approached, so we waited patiently for them to all go by before continuing.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretDamn auto correct. NOT DODGE!, Dodie!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesGood thing you caught that autocorrect! She’s NOT an automobile!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
but they are doing it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
They're off!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We have been to Angers at least once before, but we never really went downtown. This time our hotel was right in the middle of it. We were surprised at how intricate and beautiful the architecture is. We really loved it, and we've decided to stay an extra day.

Downtown Angers
Heart 2 Comment 3
Karen PoretAnd now, Von Dutch..out of Los Angeles, CA. I think it’s strange to read California names on clothing worn in Europe with the younger crowds.
A few years ago I was told names of cities and towns in California are printed on tee shirts and the like just “to name something”, not knowing they are real places/locations not even close to each other.

What do you think?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretSince we are not really familiar with Californian place names, and do not tend to notice what is on a shirt anyways, it probably goes right over our heads.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesProbably best because you’re watching where you’re going!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
This building is interesting, but not the same style as the others on the street.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here is the harlequin on the corner of the building.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Karen PoretWhat is his hand gesture supposed to be signaling, if anything?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretNot a clue.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesLet’s leave it at that…
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
A bright and open square, surrounded by major buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As usual there is a carousel. It is now clear to us that these are reproductions that are merely branded "1900".
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building in the middle of downtown used to be a private residence. It was built around 1535, and is called the Pincé building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On a wall beside the Pincé, what must be the outline of a building that once stood in this spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just look at the municipal theatre, on the main square!
Heart 3 Comment 0

FNAC is the French equivalent of Best Buy in North America or Media Markt in Germany. It is quite high priced. We find ourselves in there when one of our electronic pieces has failed, and therefore it is not exactly our favourite shop. Well yesterday Dodie's battery bank failed, so we were sure to track down FNAC in Angers. It happens to be in the middle of downtown, so that was easy. However, the battery banks were about 50% more costly than in Canada. Dodie compensated by downgrading to a 5,000 mah version. That's a small rating we don't even see at home any more. But, it will do the trick. The trick is to keep the Osmand running on her phone all day long.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Near the FNAC was a camera store. I am interested in such stores these days, since from time to time a "better" camera has been discussed for me as a birthday present. They had the camera I have been talking about - the Nikon P950, on the shelf. I was a bit surprised again at how big it is. Not only would that not go in my pocket, it would fill my handlebar bag almost entirely.  Also, the disproportionately sized lens strikes me as ugly. But you know what? there is a good chance that the "birthday fairy" will come up with one. Not here, though. Once again, the price is 50% higher than at home. 

The camera store, is next door to "our" bakery in Angers. It's a powerful money burning combo!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd on the left a taco shop..one fish taco for me, please ;)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Does this look big and ugly to you?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Laurie MarczakI think it looks pleasingly retro, kinda like the one I took to Kenya a million years ago….
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Laurie MarczakAt least it’s not a speed graphic!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakThe last one I bought like this you described as "sharky".
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 3,526 km (2,190 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Keith KleinHi,
I’m glad you had a good visit with Michel. The part of the Loire you are riding through is really scenic, but it seems that I have never ridden along the river , always across it, although I seem to have hit all the towns you’ve visited at one time or another. The slate roofs are easy to explain once one knows that one of the largest slate quarries in Europe was near Angers. I don’t know if it’s still operating, but it was in the 00’s. Great photos of the chateau.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Michel FleuranceTo Keith KleinIt was a pleasure for us to speak with the famous Grampies.

One important question raised by Steve still reminds : pourquoi la rotation de la lune sur elle-même est très exactement synchrone, (verrouillage gravitationnel), avec la rotation de la terre pour présenter la même face aux habitants de la terre ?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Michel FleuranceTo Keith KleinNo more operated. Slates are now coming from Spain but sometime with trace of rust in it. Iron oxydation ?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Keith KleinTo Michel FleuranceSalut Michel,
Pour être bref: c’est de la physique. Pour être moins bref, la lune est plus petit que le la terre, donc il a transféré son momentum angulaire de rotation a le révolution plus vite. Pour être complètement correct, il faut un physicien !
A+
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinWe had a great visit with Michel and Jeannette. As you see, the conversation was about more than cycling. Tomorrow we will ride through the old slate quarry and maybe visit the museum at Trelaze. Next autumn we hope to be on your side of the country, and perhaps we can squeeze in another visit with you and Sue.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago