Day 71: Ste Luce to Saint Florent le Vieil - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2024

Day 71: Ste Luce to Saint Florent le Vieil

Heart 0 Comment 0

The day started with a bit of a panic for me. We both use wireless ear buds to listen to bed time stories. Although these fit the ear reasonably, they can and do fall out while we are asleep. That would be more for me than for Dodie, because I thrash around in the night, while she lies perfectly still. When an ear bud has fallen out, then it will be found by the pillow, or at least somewhere in the bed. This happened with me this morning, but the missing bud was nowhere to be seen. The room did not have a lot of extra junk in it - just the bed and a couple of furniture pieces, and our personal gear is of necessity quite minimal. So the missing bud would be easy to find. Not! I took the room apart, hopefully helping Jeannette by totally stripping the bed, pulling the duvet from its cover, the pillows from their cases. Nothing! I shook out all my clothes. Nothing. I wondered if Dodie had packed the thing - no, that's not our routine. Finally I had to give up. I took my few warm outer clothes downstairs, leaving the bedroom bare, except for the ear bud that had to be somewhere!

When it was time to leave, I put on my sweater, in the kitchen. Then I turned around, and there was the ear bud lying in the middle of the kitchen floor. Some trickster at work? No, Michel had heard it hit the floor. Through all the shaking out, it had remained in the sweater until  the last minute. This was the joyful conclusion of about 45 wasted searching minutes, to start the day.

Michel came out to accompany us up the Loire, at least enough to get us started. Our route did not allow for swinging through the centre of Ste Luce, which one could take to mean -by the church. But we did again pass the bakery, which is the centre for me, anyway. We picked up some essentials, a chocolate eclair and two almond croissants, and were off.

My centre of Ste Luce
Heart 3 Comment 0

The only thing, we were not quite off. After surviving the test ride at Sardines, and the twelve kilometer ride from Nantes to Ste Luce, my drive train invented the idea of going clunk clunk, and then refusing to have the pedals reliably go forward, or especially backward. Dodie and Michel had to realize I was not with them, and turn around to find me puzzling over the bike on the sidewalk. A lot of shifting up and down, turning assist on and off, and pushing the pedals this way and that ensued. Finally, and I don't know quite what made it happen, the bike started to work again. Well ok, we carried on - for a block - until the problem recurred. So now there were thoughts of not going on up the Loire, but of retreating to Sardines. That would no doubt mean at least one lost day, and another stay at the less than desirable Appart'hotel in Nantes. Faced with that, I tried fiddling again - the bike got going, but failed again. But hey, for no more apparent reason than it had for failing, it then decided to work! And it has worked perfectly since.

Ok, we ARE going up the Loire!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The for us classical view of Michel coming along on his trike.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is a fair representation of the Loire a Velo as it was for us today, except for the bridge crossings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We seemed to cross over the Loire several times during the day. The bridges were not deadly, but one would certainly choose to push the bikes on the sidewalk, rather than fight and hold up the cars on the roadway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Michel is always a good source of information about local points of interest. This time he was telling us that when the Loire floods, it fills up ponds near the shore, that are not strictly part of the river. These ponds, or water holes, are called Boires, which maybe stems from them being places where livestock could drink (boire = to drink).
Heart 0 Comment 0
In case we would think Michel was inventing his stories, here we see that a "boire" is a legitimate geographic term.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Michel FleuranceMy favorite boire is Boire Sainte Catherine, near Bouzillé, before Saint Florent le Viel. I always stop there to have a nap in my hamac
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceAlthough we did not especially take note of every "boire", we do feel they are a very attractive feature.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

Somewhere along the route it was time for Michel to leave us and return to Ste Luce. We said a fond goodbye, but it really hurt. There is no telling when we will see this dear dear friend again.

Heart 4 Comment 0

The Loire valley has a lot of gentle, pastoral bits. Later it will present some vibrant historical cities, chateaus, and such, but for now we could just enjoy farm scenes.

Nice tilling job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Relatively (relative to our place at home!) weed free garlic fields.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Michel Fleuranceno, leaks (poireaux)
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceOf course. We could only see from a distance and had to guess.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Greylag Geese
Heart 1 Comment 1
Michel FleuranceFais comme l'oiseau - Michel Fugain & Le Big Bazar (Paroles)https://youtu.be/jKXOYy-6ueo

Fais comme l'oiseau
Ça vit d'air pur et d'eau fraîche, un oiseau
D'un peu de chasse et de pêche, un oiseau
Mais jamais rien ne l'empêche, l'oiseau, d'aller plus haut
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Irises
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I had not realized that there is a breed of Nantes cattle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But here they were.
Heart 1 Comment 0
24193 Mistle Thrush
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the first major towns along the way was Oudon. Oudon is distinguished first off by having stone construction and dark roofs. So we are well out of the seaside white houses with orange roofs. Next, Oudon has a great looking bakery. And there is a chateau, from the 15th century.

Oudon buildings. Most are hundreds of years old.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The nice bakery
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretWith a whimsical trompe l’oeil above the door way!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
The chateau tower seems still in good repair.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretWho is the statue supposed to represent in the bottom center? It appears to be a fireman or maybe a longshoreman ?
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
The chateau parts other than the tower seem to be a ruin.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's a small jump from Oudon to Ancenis. Ancenis also has a chateau, but I only snapped a quick photo as we blew by. 

Ancenis chateau
Heart 2 Comment 0
I spent more time talking to a group of brown cows. Funny priorities.
Heart 2 Comment 0
They were not really that great as conversationalists.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We came upon the sign below, near an abbey overlooking the river, close to our destination today of Saint Florent le Vieil. I said to Dodie "looks like work", refering to recording the sign and later trying to figure out what it was all about. Indeed, the story proved very complex, involving  counter revolutionary people and the Reign of Terror in the French revolution. The victims described in the sign were religious people who supported the monarch, not favoured folks for the revolutionaries.

From Wikipedia: "The Reign of Terror (French: la Terreur) was a period of the French Revolution when, following the creation of the First Republic, a series of massacres and numerous public executions took place in response to revolutionary fervour, anticlerical sentiment, and accusations of treason by the Committee of Public Safety.

There is disagreement among historians over when exactly "the Terror" began. Some consider it to have begun only in 1793, giving the date as either 5 September, June or March, when the Revolutionary Tribunal came into existence. Others, however, cite the earlier time of the September Massacres in 1792, or even July 1789, when the first killing of the revolution occurred."

Heart 0 Comment 0
The quiet field today, where it all went down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The abbey that came under attack.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We did our final crossing of the Loire for the day, opposite our hotel, Le Petit Pecheur. It remained much more comfortable to walk the bikes than to chance the roadway.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This is some kind of traditional Loire boat, but we don't know the exact function.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretFlat bottomed for shallow waters, and differing river patterns.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Michel FleuranceTo Karen PoretName of this boat is Toue cabanée
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago

We arrived at the hotel at about 4, to find that no staff would be there whatever until 6. We remember this about France, and the Loire route specifically. You can arrive at a hotel or restaurant and easily believe that it is out of business. There will be not the slightest sign of life until the exact minute and second when they said they would open.

Heart 1 Comment 0

It's not  bad place, once they do open!

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 3,469 km (2,154 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michel FleuranceSteve, Dodie, it was a pleasure to share these privileged moments with with you. Take care and say hello to all the birds you are going to meet.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago