[Oct 14] Day 3 - Moss Landing to Lucia - Bicycling SF to LA on the Pacific Coast - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2023

[Oct 14] Day 3 - Moss Landing to Lucia

Heart 0 Comment 0

Woke up at 6, got breakfast at the Ragged Point Cafe next door. They had deep fried artichoke and artichoke stuffed with shrimp. We got the latter and I also got a bacon and cheese omelette with hash browns and toast.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The morning was very foggy/cloudy. Apparently there was a solar eclipse that morning.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The first ~15 miles of biking was mostly flat. Saw several people on pedal-powered carts on the train tracks running parallel to us.

At the edge of the beach we saw two people getting interviewed by the local news channel. We biked behind them in the background (nearly slipped in the sand).

There was a lot of traffic coming into Big Sur, but not much after. Had a late lunch of ribs and chocolate milk at the Big Sur River Inn.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Some more climbs and descents reaching 35+ mph. Passed some horses that must live a good life with the views.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Stayed at Lucia Lodge and watched the sunset. This is where the Netflix show Ratched (prequel to One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest) was filmed.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Overall difficulty today: 4/5

Nutrition during ride:

  • 2 Gu energy gels (Lemon Lime, Strawberry)
  • 1 Chewy granola bar
  • 1 small pack of Skittles
  • ~ 24 oz of water/electrolytes
  • 100 mg caffeine

Today's ride: 73 miles (117 km)
Total: 199 miles (320 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0