Along the Brenta River: A change in direction - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2011

Along the Brenta River: A change in direction

The golden weather continues, surely it can't last. Today we were riding along the Brenta. It starts as a tiny stream at the lake we were at last night and the cycle path is in the most part right beside it. The scenery is actually very varied from agricultural land with apples, corn and grass, to forests and very tight gorges with at one part the path built out on a metal walkway attached to the cliff. It all began to get pretty remote and we came to a café in the middle of nowhere which was some sort of information centre and where we thought our track probably left the Brenta. We had a cappacino and they confirmed that yes this was where we turned, that it was pretty steep (all I could see were cliffs!), fairly difficult to follow and about 16km to the next accommodation. She also said that most people going to Venice just carried on down the Brenta where we would be sure to get accommodation in 25km and it was all down hill. Very appealing . We have done better than that though. We had decided to take the first available accommodation. This part of the valley has a sprinkling of tiny villages all now with apparently no services. We didn't have any idea where we were when I saw a sign for a B and B. Quick as a flash she was out and we had a place to stay. We wheeled our bikes into the cellar where they were to live and our host followed us in. He spoke no English and our Italian seems to have deserted us but we recognised the words Vino Roso and all sat around to have a celebratory 'chat' and a glass of vino roso before being shown to our room. Never in my life have I seen a room that has so many colours used in its decoration.

Later exploration makes us think we are probably in the village of Valstagna there is also a bar here so we will get a meal there tonight. What happens next is uncertain, we have plenty of time so will take it slowly and see what looks appealing.

Mohammed
Heart 0 Comment 0
He has many cups and certificates
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cutting coan for silage
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped here for coffee (std 1.50 Euros) a blind piano accordian player was plying beautifully.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling information
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped here
Heart 0 Comment 0
A warm welcome - I really don't look as half witted as this
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 3,673 km (2,281 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0