A little about us - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2011

A little about us

Both in our early seventies Ken and I have at this late stage in our life become addicted to cycle touring. It is so much easier on an older body than the long distance walking we used to do. You cover more ground, a bonus. The down side is that you don't see the country in quite the detail you do as when, like a snail you creep across the countryside. In 2009 we flew to Gatwick and rode our bikes to Rome following the Via Frangenica - the ancient pilgrim route from Canterbury Cathedral to the Vatican. In 2010 it was a journey from the North Sea to the Adriatic following the Amber Trail. www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ambertrail . The challenge has been to decide which of the many routes we want to cycle we will do this year.

We live in New Zealand on 100 acres about 50 km south of Auckland - this is our retirement project but we ( or rather Ken) work hard with a small vineyard producing 500 to 600 cases of wine a year, sheep and dry stock. Before we get on our bikes we have a lot to do.

* Prune the grapes and put on a dormant spray.

* Finish the lambing

Heart 0 Comment 0

* Get the bigger steers off to market and buy some more little ones

Heart 0 Comment 0

* Put the wine to sleep

Heart 0 Comment 0

* Prune the roses and cut back our rather overgrown garden

* Spring clean the house

* Check over all our gear

We had expert help checking out the tent
Heart 0 Comment 0

Will this be done before our departure on the 5th August - of course it will, though Ken rather doubts it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0