Day 42 "Ghost town" - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

December 3, 1999

Day 42 "Ghost town"

La Junta Hospedaje

Early morning we hear rain on the tent. We wait an hour to see if it stops. It doesn't. So we quickly pack up in the drizzle.

We get to Villa Van Guardia by 11am. We have crossed the river, climbed steep hills, had a few downhills all in the drizzling rain. We are soaked when we reach the "ghost town" that John & Kim had told us about. They had found no one there and camped by the river, at dark the lights come on. The "Town" is really cabanas. Two look lived in, jacket hanging outside the door and wood stacked. We find refuge on the porch of a vacant Cabana. We eat and fix coffee. 

Still it rains.

We continue on and cross the river on a huge suspension bridge. The bridge is really just wet boards. The river is glacial blue. Lupins, pink and purple grow on the side of the road. A few cars pass and buses. We are planning to stay in La Junta. Alan has cycled quicker than us and is waiting at the Copec Station. We find a hospedaje with two rooms and a shared bath. 

We have hot showers then explore the town. We hang our wet things out, but its still raining. We cook dinner, clean up and listen to the wind blowing. It's chilly but the bed has plenty of blankets.

We are in Patagonia.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 1,791 km (1,112 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0