Day 13 Mulden: Luis Farm - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 4, 1999

Day 13 Mulden: Luis Farm

Luis Farm

The first 30 km are to Los Angeles where we head into town to find a supermarket. We plan to camp in another 20 km and need supplies. The countryside has changed. Vineyards and farmland has mostly been replaced by managed forests; all trees planted in straight lines for harvest. We see pine and eucalyptus trees. Patrick wants to plan a hardy variety in our garden somewhere, the scent always reminds us of Australia.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We meet two more cyclists today, from Brazil on a publicized tour to promote bicycling. We talk a while about our routes. They are also heading to Ushuaia, but on a more direct route and a lot faster. Today they want to get to Temuco, another 150km.We leave them at a small roadside café.

Heart 0 Comment 0

At the campground, which is closed but that doesn’t really matter no one is around, still we decide to go a bit further to Mulden and find something there. We’ve seen a sign for a campground. Mulden is a few km off the Pan America, so to be sure at the junction Patrick asks a guy about camping. He kinda understands what is being asked and says, “Open, not so nice” and indicates it’s another 2 km uphill!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We start climbing, then the same guy drives by, stops, gets out and invites us over to his house about 10 km further down the Pan America. He now has his parents with him in the truck. After we make sure that we understand what he means, we accept and head back down the hill and further south. Luis has to go into Mulden and will follow us shortly.

When he passes after a few km, he wants to load up our bikes, but Patrick explains that we want to cycle every mile. He will wait for us at the turn-off. There our bikes go in the back of the truck, we climb in to hold them. About 2km of dirt road he takes us to his parents farm. We meet his father, mother, wife and son.

The people are so nice. They give us a late lunch with soup and bread. We try to talk a bit, Luis and his wife speak some English. His father speaks French so Patrick can understand him a little. We show them our pictures of our garden, they are impressed by Rachel’s flowers. We shower then take a walk with Luis, Tatyana and Philipe to see the farm.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We pitch the tent between Luis’ truck and an abandoned Mini Morris in the driveway. Later just before dark, we follow Luis to put the cows in their enclosure and herd the sheep together. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 580 km (360 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0