Santa Maria di Leuca to Otranto - Bumbling in Basilicata, Putzing in Puglia - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2023

Santa Maria di Leuca to Otranto

Today, we head north along the Adriatic. We never truly know what the landscape will be like but based on other CB journals, we expected a rugged rocky coastline. And, did it deliver! We loved this ride, detour and all.

Christian’s mom had laid out breakfast for us on a cart, which we wheeled outside so we could have breakfast on our patio. Then we pushed off and headed downhill for the harbour. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Once again, no tourists to speak of.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first destination was the magnificent lighthouse that marks the south of Italy, situated on the Punto Meliso.

View of Leuca’s beach.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leuca is a small town. Boating is super popular.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Faro of Santa Maria di Leuca.
Heart 4 Comment 0

There is a large plaza and a church next to the lighthouse. This is also the site of a man-made waterfall that marks the end of the Apulian aqueduct.  These days, they only run the water on select days of the year. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
View of the Adriatic coast.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Riding coastlines is always a thrill for the views along the way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Phlomis (Jerusalem sage).
Heart 2 Comment 0

The road surface today was smooth. What a treat. Even though it is the main coastal highway there was no traffic to speak of. 

The rugged coastline here was dotted with grottos and although it doesn’t show in the pictures, the water is dark emerald and crystal clear. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Summit shot.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraWow. A coastal route with hardly any cars? That's pretty special!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Soon after the photo above, we came upon a road closure barricade. Local residents were allowed through so we carried on too, as per usual. We didn’t think too much of it as these worksites are not uncommon here. Very often, there is enough space for pedestrians and small cars to pass through. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

We enjoyed sailing along the highway and about 40 minutes later we came to the actual worksite. A bridge was undergoing repairs and it was blocked off completely. We spoke with one of the workers who said it would be impossible to allow us through, even though the bridge was completely intact. He said we would have to go back to Leuca.  A sign pointing to the left directed pedestrians to a very rugged trail that could technically lead to the other side. I considered ferrying the panniers and then the bikes across until I did a recon up the trail and discovered it was clearly not an option for us. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

So, off we went. I had seen a tiny slip road with the name of a town on it, so we hunted it down and found it at the site of the first barricade, so we shot up it and jumped off when the grade hit 15%.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The town, Gagliano del Capo, was non-descript so we passed right on through. As we exited, we found a small road that cut through the olive groves and eventually dumped us back on the highway on the other side of the bridge. Throughout the olive orchards were trulli’s, small round stone structure that were built as field worker’s huts. All the fields, orchards and roadways were lined with old dry-stone walls and draped with grasses, wildflowers and the occasional fig tree.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Notice the dead olive trees. More about that later.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Thomas BrommaXylella fastidiosa ist the bacterium that killed almost all olive trees in the south of Puglia about three years ago, a desaster an high economic loss for the farmers. Due to the mono culture with olive trees the bacterium couldn't be stopped - there is poor support by the government...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
David MathersYes, I read the story. It is so sad and consequential when segments of society do not trust science. There is no way to combat this bacteria at this point, from what I read.. Perhaps surveillance is helping. The trees further north are fine but it feels like it’s only a matter of time.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Many of the olive trees along here were dead and as we descended back to the highway, we came upon a crew that was chainsawing the trunks. All we could think was, there is enough wood to fire Italy’s pizza ovens for years to come. David briefly though about how nice it would be to bring a piece of olive wood home but that would not be easy to pull off. In any case, I am sure they will make good use of this wood right here in Italy.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Trulli.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

At Marina dei Novaglie, we popped into a beachfront bar for a cappuccino break. They were playing Bob Marley tunes.... ‘Don’t Worry About a Thing’.

The internet connection is in the naughty corner once again, after losing my work for the umpteenth time. Darne these stone walls! So, it's just a few photos to finish off this day. 

It was another extraordinary day of classic cycle touring and tonight we are staying in a gorgeous B&B with yet another set of super hosts).

Heart 2 Comment 0
Boats at Marina dei Novaglie.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Anne AnastasiouThis pic needs to be entered into a photo competition. Amazing!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
It doen’t get any better than this for cycle touring.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of Otranto from nearby our B&B.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Well deserved post ride Leffe in Otranto.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Tranquil harbour view, Otranto.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stopped for gelato’s as we strolled back home under the moonlight.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 629 km (391 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Anne AnastasiouWhat excellent views! It sounds like your detour provided an interesting look at the olive grove area. The new bridge looks amazing. Glad it was such a perfect day despite (and because of) the detour.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago