Packing and Flying - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2024

Packing and Flying

It’s a travel day, just by airplane versus bike.  Not a lot to say about flying except it always seems long, the amount of space on board is getting smaller and smaller unless you want to pay more and more, but you do finally arrive.

Sculpture at the Tucson airport … winged trip home sounds doable
Heart 1 Comment 0

The flight from Tucson to Seattle went quickly and I must admit flying in or out of Tucson is quite nice.  It took a total of 30 minutes to drop the rental, hand over our baggage, clear TSA, and arrive at our gate.  It’s then actually nicer than Fairbanks as TSA didn’t make us take anything out of carry on bags including the normal electronics, food, and batteries.  I did have to take off sandals which was just enough humor and they did need to frisk my hat but …

While we were waiting and people watching, though, I saw something completely new.  In all I observed 21 people waiting for flights that all had a white letter sized envelope in the their hands and a printed ticket.  Most were carrying a brown paper bag and none appeared to speak or understand English.  There were also NO carry on bags with any of them.  There was a lot of confusion with understanding the tickets and which boarding gate to go to.  My guess is we were witnessing first hand one of the trickle down effects of the immigration crisis that the southern borders states are experiencing.

Mount St. Helens greeted us thought the clouds
Heart 4 Comment 0

Seattle to Tucson went nicely and we even arrived 15 minutes early which made our quick airport escape to have lunch with some old friends a little less stressful as we knew we would then once again has to re-enter the TSA zone.

And what a contrast that was when compared to Tucson.  SeaTac required everything to be removed and unpacked and then had no place to really repack things without holding up the line.  Oh well, I held up the line.

I also witnessed a courtesy worker get chewed out by her boss as she was attempting to assist a disabled veteran getting into the security line.  She actually asked him if he was a veteran based on the hat he was wearing and then asked he had a disability that required some assistance.  The limb arm hanging at his side was the obvious clue and he was very appreciative for the assistance.  Enter the supervisor … pull her aside and then let her know that she broke policy by asking if he was disabled as you “aren’t allowed” to ask.  She asked for clarification which caused the supervisor to double down on his “fixing” as she “should have known” the policy despite the fact she had only been on the job a short time.  Even after her apology and requesting clarification, the supervisor just kept pressing.  

Wonder if his attitude would change if he had an obvious disability.

Hmmm, SeaTac, nine workers but only one person was actually working moving the heat to dry a line of fresh paint
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finally the last flight home.  Completely booked flight except for one seat.  We scored a win as it was in our row which meant we had extra space for the final flight home.

The sun setting before our final leg to Fairbanks
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then to cap off the day, we arrived 30 minutes early, were greeted by our two daughters and one granddaughter and weather in the 20’s.

PS … TSA did, however, manage to destroy our boxes, trikes OK, but somehow the baggage handlers broke one spoke on one front wheel.  Not sure how they managed that one …

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 2,004 miles (3,225 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kelly IniguezDo you have trouble shifting gears after your warm weather escapes? Spring weather in Colorado has been unseasonably warm - high 40's, not too much wind, rain (not snow). Do I ride? Very little! Mostly I look out the window and think of the sunshine and high 70 degree temperatures in Tucson right now. Today I did ride 23 miles, I managed to stay mostly in front of the rain, but got wet enough to zip my phone away. Yes, my preference for warm weather riding is a bit worrisome.

I've enjoyed your journal. It was fun to meet in person. You did an excellent job of exploring all parts of Tucson and beyond.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly IniguezHaven’t noticed any gear issues when we come back from our trips but I also do a thorough cleaning and relaxing of the trikes when we come back. It helps that the trikes are already in their folded form from the travel. For the first time in at least 15 years, the airlines did a small bit of damage to one of our front wheels. Somehow their handling broke the spoke nipple on one spoke. Easy fix but I’m still trying to figure that one out.

I’m glad you enjoyed the journal. Doing a yearly journal is a new one for me but I’m hoping its gives the larger picture of a cycling year versus just one trip.

We are definitely in a state of withdrawal and slight depression since returning home. Think the colder, snowier outside isn’t helping a whole lot. But on the bright side, we actually as as much daylight as Tucson this time of year but not the 70 degree temperatures.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago