Flying Day - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 6, 2024

Flying Day

Finally, finally … but before I could get things rolling I just had to go for one last indoor ride to keep my perfect riding goal on track.

A real sunrise … something we haven’t seen in awhile.
Heart 1 Comment 0

One great benefit of flying from Fairbanks in a very small airport with only 6 gates of which 2 are usually in operation.  From drop off, through baggage, through security we spent a total of 28 minutes.

Canada
Heart 3 Comment 0
Canada a few hundred miles closer to the desert southwest.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then there was Seattle … Seattle is usually an easy transition for us and things were going well from landing on time, a quick train ride to a different terminal, a little bit of walking, some food and then came the announcements of “overbooked”, anybody want to give up their seats?

We don’t, unless it’s the flights back home.  So the loading began, every seat was full and then the wait began.  Overloaded … get rid of some luggage, or get rid of a few passengers or wait 1 1/2 hours for Alaska Air to offload some fuel in order to meet requirements.  Fortunately everybody was in good spirits and the flight crew kept us up on the slow progress.

Mt. Rainier was quite striking above the clouds.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Seattle was quite overcast and raining, fairly normal but the flight out of the clouds did not disappoint as Mt. Rainier gave us some beautiful views.

Arrival in Tucson was uneventful despite the winds and then came the long wait for the rental van … apparently the 2 folks assisting were both in training with some “difficult” customers.

Tomorrow we ride … for the first time outside since September.

Today's ride: 4 miles (6 km)
Total: 1,048 miles (1,687 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0