Day 22 - Mountain Avenue Connector - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2024

Day 22 - Mountain Avenue Connector

Today’s plan was simple: move to our next lodging, unload the trikes and try a different connecting path to the Loop, and then cycle around until we were done for the day.

Mountain Avenue Connector through the college campus
Heart 0 Comment 0

So the general path was the Santa Cruz portion of the Loop, turn on St. Marys to intersect with University / 3rd street Bike Blvd, turn north on North Mountain, and then wind back around on the Rillito and Santa Cruz.

Good plan … very car free routes, North Mountain was a great N/S connector but then the weather decided it needed to add some spice to the ride.

Mural along the way
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretSomeone’s garage door?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Another one
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we headed up North Mountain looking north the sky was in good shape, few clouds, nothing threatening but when one looked south or east, the sky had taken on a very different feeling.  And then when we got to the Rillito, the wind started and the first few rain drops started coming down.  Comments with passing cyclists were all centered on “is the rain coming?”

Skies aren’t looking inviting. Fortunately we have the tailwind and maybe we can sneak around the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mountains are beginning to fade away.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we turned south and the real threat became very apparent.  The skies were dark, the thunder was rumbling, and we began the race to see if we could get back to our lodging before the skies opened up.

Skies are darkening … I think we are going to get caught.
Heart 2 Comment 0

1 mile from home base, the skies decided they had played long enough with us foolish cyclists and the rain and wind joined together to soak us before we got to dry lodging.  A quite impressive amount of rain came down rather quickly and I noticed that even the homeless population had retreated to any shelter they could find.

1 mile from lodging. The skies simply opened up and we got caught. Sideways soaking rain.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The remainer of the day told us quite clearly that our riding was done for the day as the rain kept sprinkling down and the weather dropped about 10 degrees.

To think … we were so close.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 1,781 miles (2,866 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0