Day 2 - Davis Monthan AFB Circle - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2024

Day 2 - Davis Monthan AFB Circle

We were greeted with sunny blue skies this morning, what a change!

The view north towards Mt. Lemmon on the Harrison Greenway
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a semi-leisurely breakfast and neighborhood walk, we met our cycling friends for a new adventure to us using part of the Loop and some local knowledge to circle around Davis Monthan AFB.  Davis Monthan was a name I was somewhat familiar with as it was one of the duty stations I could have served at in the 80’s. But today, in addition, it is also the site of the Airplane Boneyard, a place where retired airplanes of all sorts go to their final resting place.  From our vantage point, I saw a lot of decommission 135 airframes, 2 B-1 bomber airframes, and numerous others that I didn’t recognize.  One 135 was a retired KC-135 tanker from the Alaska ANG.

The “Boneyard”
Heart 2 Comment 0
The “Boneyard” … the stories these planes could tell.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As for the trails and roads … the trail sections were all quite nice but I did notice that the shoulders on the roads were full of debris and from what Lee, our local expert, told me, the shoulders are not usually a focus of cleaning here.  But with his expert guidance, we were able to make our way around the AFB with a minimum of traffic issues and some new roads that we might be able to use in the future.

Lunch break … the worker had a hard time wrapping her mind around “We are from Alaska … it was -40 last week.”
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the Aviation Parkway
Heart 1 Comment 0

After circling the base, we returned via the Julian Wash which is now becoming quite familiar and it probably going to be used quite a few more times during our stay in Tucson.

Cactus … a definite theme along the trails
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThose are unique cacti. Scientific name Cylindropuntia fulgida or one of several common names. I knew it as chain fruit cholla back in the 1960s I guess jumping cholla has now become more popular. Fruits never become "ripe" but eventually either fall off, or attach to some unfortunate passerby to be spread and sprout roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_fulgida
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,110 miles (1,786 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0