Day 12 - To the Grand Canyon - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 18, 2024

Day 12 - To the Grand Canyon

Well, this day did not quite go the way it was planned when we left the Prescott Valley enroute to Flagstaff.  But Flagstaff did not agree and the 20 mph winds and mid 40’s temperatures changed our plans and we decided to simply push further north to the Grand Canyon.

This is not the first time we’ve been to the Grand Canyon but it is the first time we rode our trikes there instead of driving.

“We’re not in Tucson anymore” might have been going through my mind as we broke through a few leftover snow drifts
Heart 5 Comment 0

We happened to find a bike pathway from Grand Canyon, aka Tusayan, that went north and we opted to cycle it and see if it worked.  The trail was paved with lots of ups and down and twists and turns.  It also had section of half melted snow drifts so we felt almost like we were back in Alaska.

What it didn’t have was much wind and the temperatures were slightly warmer so a good trade-off from our previous plans.

Elk
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karen PoretSo majestic!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Along the way, we cycled through a group of 10-12 elk who were almost as entertained by us as we were by them.  They posed for a few minutes before we parted ways.

And then more elk
Heart 4 Comment 2
Lisa MitchellWow, he’s looking right at you!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretGreat photo! Beautiful!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
And more elk
Heart 4 Comment 0

Once to the south rim of the canyon, you are transformed from a forest rider to an almost city rider.  The Grand Canyon has “developed” into a serious center of people and commerce and the pathways led in all directions with a focus on the “stores” that cater to the tourist population.

We eventually found our way to the rim so we could get some views of the majesty of the canyon and then retreated back into the woods for our return trip.  

South Rim, Grand Canyon
Heart 3 Comment 0
These views never get old
Heart 5 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltMy favorite place...

It is no wonder it is so immensely popular.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretThank you! I have never been here. Your comments about the crowds and commerce are another reason I probably will just enjoy from others photo postcards..
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Larry MitchellA lot has changed since my first visit and subsequent visits. Guess I’m a bit old school and wish ALL of the commercial operations were kept out of the park.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We really did make it and so did our trikes
Heart 6 Comment 0

Along the way we cycled through 6-7 mule deer who were a bit more skittish and not willing to wait around too long for pictures.  The walkers with their dog coming towards us probably had something to do with the sudden departure of the deer.

Mule deer on the way out
Heart 2 Comment 0

After returning to the start point, we loaded the trikes and drove back to the south rim of the canyon for sunset.  The view point was definitely popular and soon became overwhelming so we left, technically, before the sun set. But there were no clouds or sky features and the canyon simply faded into darkness without any spectacular sunset pictures.

We are planning to stay in the area for another day and hopefully ride some more of the rim road because this is a place that you could come see frequently and always find something new.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 19 miles (31 km)
Total: 1,464 miles (2,356 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0