thwarted again - Dirt Picker - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

thwarted again

Since the wind blew from the west yesterday and all night last night, I was surprised to wake up and find that it shifted to the opposite in just a few minutes. This had huge implications for our day, which was supposed to be easy into Cuba. We packed and ate. When the store opened at 7, they unlocked the gates (we were locked in last night at 8 pm). We went inside to use the rest room and got a few more snacks for the road. It was 50 miles or so to Cuba, with a new headwind. The first 20 miles was brutal. I used alot of energy to go 6 mph. We pulled over at a church driveway to get some water when two adorable dogs ran up to us. I figured they belonged to the church and we enjoyed their company. It was a mom and a puppy. When it was time to leave, the dogs decided to leave too. We tried to get them to stay, but we soon realized that they didnt have a home. We couldnt get them stop following. They chased us for miles, when the 18 wheelers came, they jogged to our side. We couldnt lose them because of the headwind. Eventually the puppy peeled off, but the mom kept at it. I wish I could have adoped a dog! this one was smart. We passed a hitch hiker and the dog ran over and flopped at her feet. She ignored it, so the dog sat there and looked back and forth. I decided its best chance was to keep following us. I felt bad, because it knew it needed to find someone and was trying its hardest to impress and be cute. finally, we passed another church where 3 people were standing out front. She peeled off the road and over to them. We lost her there and I hope she found someone to at least give some food.

If you are looking for a good pet, just drive around out here
Heart 2 Comment 0

Shortly after we passed a bridled horse in the road. It was also lost and couldnt get out of the road because of the endless barb wire on both sides. Seems like the people here dont have time for these animals. We carried on in the sun, up and down, into and out of canyons untill we finally arrived in cuba. We had high hopes. the first 2 of 3 motels were closed, so we went to the last one where a very disgruntled employee informed us that its $100 a night - a rip off in this town. We called the RV park, and they allowed camping, but it was just about to rain, so we went to a mexican restaurant to eat and decide on what to do. After some deliberatin we decided to just go for the motel. We split it with Line. The RV park was about a mile off route, and I didnt feel like setting up in the rain. The grocery store was minimal and the town looks like it had seen better days. I guess we wont be taking an off day here either.

Some scenes from the day
Heart 2 Comment 0

our only option is making it over the next mountain to Abiquiu in 2 days. There is supposed to be a cyclist only lodging there. Maybe we will get some rest there...
Mileage:49
Up:2293
Down:2070
Time:6.5

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 347 miles (558 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis is great. It’s like reading a Cormac McCarthy novel.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeff LeeThis is bringing back memories of my own attempt at the Great Divide, which nearly broke me.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago