off route to Santa fe - Dirt Picker - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2023

off route to Santa fe

 Abiquiu to Santa Fe  We rode out around 9 am and were all alone packing up except for Jim, who was continuing on the route. Barb and Bob had left super early and the Swedish couple left before 7 am to catch a bus to Santa Fe. They had some gear problems and needed to go to the city to get a new sleeping pad. We hit the road knowing it would be highway the whole day, but for the most part, the shoulder was nice. The first half was all downhill with a tailwind, but the second was uphill with a headwind. It was unusually tough because I had already assumed it would be an easy day. I had reached out to a warmshowers host yesterday, so after going to the grocery and eating everything we could find, we headed to Carlyns house. She was super welcoming and we were only her second guest. She showed us to our room, which had a private bathroom! we were stoked to take a shower and relax. We ate dinner there and chatted about bike touring. Carlyn is planning on a trans am tour next year so we gave some tips based on our experience in 2021. I didnt take any pictures of the ride in today, but I was really cool to go down the valley. On the west side, you could see the mountain range we had been traversing before Abiquiu and on the East was the range that extends from the north of santafe. You can see the ski resort and there is still some snow up there. Carlyn had reiterated how wet and cold this spring has been. Last year when we were here (around the same time) it was hotter and the forest fires had already started.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 479 miles (771 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0