improvise, adapt, overcome - Dirt Picker - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

improvise, adapt, overcome

About 1k miles into our blissful van trip to NM, we had the most archetypal "van life" experience of all: breakdown. Luckily we were still on the east coast and decided to limp the van home. Without enough time for a repair, we transferred all our stuff from the van to the Prius.

Our new home
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not to worry. We have been here before. The van was too nice anyway and I had missed sleeping in campgrounds too close to highways. I should mention that we also picked up an illness and I was just starting to become sick in tandem with the van. We stayed in Savannah a couple days to weather the worst of the illness, which was mostly throat related, and resolved to drive to NM in 3 terrible days. We have made this exact drive 2 times before, and I knew what we were up against. They don't call it flyover for no reason. Luckily we cruised through without too much difficulty. We arrived in Santa Fe to pickup Mary's handlebar bag from Nathan: the proprietor and operator of tribulus bags. Then we drove down to Albuquerque to stay the night. We had been camping the other travel days, and got a cheap hotel to try and get some extra rest and lose a bit more of this persistent cough. Tomorrow we will drive to silver city and camp out in front of a friend of a friend's house before officially starting the ride on Monday.

One of the last nights before the official start. I should note that I didn't plan on the low humidity (10%!)and it seems to be tough on this compulsory cough. We are going to have to take it easy the first few days.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Paulette FryeSo sorry about the van …..you had it set up so beautifully!
You two have such resilience! Hugs from Marnie
Reply to this comment
11 months ago