Day 19: Ravenna to Pesaro - Mambo Italiano - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2023

Day 19: Ravenna to Pesaro

Heart 0 Comment 0

I was wrong about two things: today we did not wander much, if at all; and the weather wasn't gorgeous. It was, however, perfect for riding: cloudy and cool with a good tailwind. We decided to take advantage of this by cranking out some kilometers.  Almost a metric century today.

But first: breakfast! It was included with our room, and it commenced at 8:00. So no early start for us. We were, however, well-fed, and for the first time in who knows how long, we skipped second breakfast. The route was flat until the end of the day, when we had a hill to tire us out.

Not many photos today, and not much to talk about. It would have been more adventurous if we had tried the route through Monte San Bartolo regional park. Komoot all but refused to let me navigate it, so I can only assume that it's not really a great way to go while hauling your house on your bike. Plus, coming at the end of the day, we wanted a more direct and predictable path.

The day may have been more culturally rewarding had the Rossini Museum been open. Pesaro was his birthplace, and they hold a Rossini festival every August. As it was, we didn't even stop for a red light in Pesaro. It was just crank crank crank until we arrived at our destination campground.

The day might have been filled with bragging rights had we decided to stay in Rimini and take a bus to the microstate of San Marino. I read up on its fascinating history, but I came away thinking that it wasn't worth the side trip. If there's anyone who's been there and has an opinion of the place, I'd like to hear it.

Even the choice to camp was kind of a mixed bag. There looked to be a couple of good hotels in Pesaro for under €50, which, while twice the price of a campground, was still super cheap. But we had a tent to dry out, and a loose commitment to camping a lot this week prior to a lot of campgrounds closing for the season at the end of the month, aka this upcoming Saturday.

Thankfully, this is a great campground and a great evening to camp. We have waves crashing to the right of us, the occasional train whooshing by to the left, and almost no mosquitos.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an early start, make some more progress down the coast, and camp again. We'll commit to stopping to smell the roses a bit more though.

Starting the day in Ravenna. Feels like eons ago!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A picnic table in time saves 9
Heart 0 Comment 0
See? There's the beach
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very very typical scene from today
Heart 0 Comment 0
We figure this is a very devout town
Heart 1 Comment 0
Is the.campground really open? Let's find out!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Why yes, it is open
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is what a multitool is really used for
Heart 1 Comment 0
A moonlit walk on the beach. How romantic!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 1,023 km (635 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0