And your bird can sing - Mambo Italiano - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2023

And your bird can sing

This is going to be a short one. Not much to share.

We walked outside to witness a beautiful dawn and to have one last bar breakfast.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we set to work packing. The boxes reboxified themselves quite nicely with the aid of some tape. Disassembly of the bikes went much quicker this time, because there was no guesswork as to which components and accessories would have to come off. I just love being able to reuse the same boxes! The work probably took an hour total for both bikes, moving slowly and methodically with my little multitool. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The moving bag has turned out to be a game changer. I didn't even notice its existence as we dragged it all over Italy. Now it's holding the bulk of our gear, ready to help return it all to the U.S. I don't know how much I trust it for multiple round trip flights. They're so cheap, I'll probably just relegate it to a lesser storage task around the house.

We squared away everything with the local taxi service. They're sending a driver in a minivan tomorrow at 8am for our 11am flight. We're only 5km from the airport.

I was eager to explore the north side of town. Other than a strip next to the marina, it really isn't any different than the Isola Sacra neighborhood we're staying in. There isn't much going on here. It's great.

Not sure whether this is now a private residence, but it certainly looks like it was once an official building of some sort. I imagine the extra height served a purpose, such as being able to assess sea conditions before heading out to work.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made one last trip to the supermarket, where we bought not only dinner, but also breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. They don't feed us on the Rome-to-Dublin segment of the flight, so self-service is the way to go. We also picked up a few foody souvenirs.

So all in all, a pretty laid back day. It's good to relax before the guaranteed airport and airplane craziness of tomorrow.

I'll wrap things up in a couple days, then we'll do one last post with stats and our impressions of the trip. Thanks for reading!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks for inviting us along. Have a safe, boring flight home.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kevin StevensTo Scott AndersonThanks for your advice. We really appreciate it! Enjoy the rest of your tour!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago