To Izumi via the Island of Nagashima, small but mighty - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 6, 2023

To Izumi via the Island of Nagashima, small but mighty

Izumi, host to almost 12,000 migrating cranes



Minshuku Tomikawa has provided us with a wonderful experience. The building itself is lovely and thoughtfully designed - this combined with the people who own and run the Minshuku and you know you have found a good place to stay. Like many Japanese Inns, it is not available on the usual sites like Booking or Hotels. Our strategy is to find a place like this on Google maps where we can get the info we need and get in touch or drop by. Since we checked in without notice, we couldn’t have meals, but it sure looked good and included a grill at each table for breakfast.

A lounge area with an espresso machine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As well as having an onsen, the showers were great.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Minshuku is near the fishing port. We noticed that this area is becoming popular and revitalized with new buildings and businesses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keiko and her family run an excellent Minshuku with gracious hospitality.
Heart 2 Comment 0
She seemed to like the feeling of the trike. When she sat down, her ahhh of surprise showed that she enjoyed the comfort of Azub’s new Dream Seat and then she laughed as she couldn’t reach Barry’s pedals.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we were leaving, Keiko asked where we were headed. We said Izumi at which she looked very concerned. She told us that the small Island Nagashima, which is where we start our ride off the ferry is only hills and big ones! We reassured her we would be fine. We’re committed now.

A nice morning in Ushibuka by the sea.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The figure in this statue is one we see often in this area. Ushibuka Haiyabushi is a folk song born in this town in the latter half of the Edo period. It is said that this folk song spread throughout Japan by sailors from this port. A dance has been added to the folk song. At the beginning women sang to entertain sailors and the hand raised in the statue signifies this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We recall a festival we attended in Sapporo on Hokkaido  in the spring. Groups of dancers, singers and musicians from communities all over Japan attended and competed through the streets of Sapporo. We think the theme of this festival is connected to Ushibuka Haiyabushi.

Women sorting and preparing fish. This is a common sight along the harbour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ferry to Nagashima is approaching the terminal with the popular mascot Kumamon , who is now depicted as a Pirate, on the front of the ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loading the ferry. The workers are very engaged and precise with one fellow directing traffic with a whistle in his mouth. Very fast and efficient loading.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Ishibuka Haiyabushi bridge, designed by the Italian architect Lorenzo Piano, it has an impressive design. It is almost 1 km long and is designed to harmonize with the natural scenery. The bridge features wind shields resembling fish scales and at night it is illuminated in multi colours andis the primary sightseeing spot in Ushibuka. This bridge takes you to a town isolated by a bay and the next island. ..and yes, it has dedicated cycling lanes. The sides of the bridge have a down sweep which protects cyclists from the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kumamon welcomes us aboard. This mascot has become the most popular mascot in Japan and in 2 years, his image has generated 1.2 billion US dollars in revenue which supports this region
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing is a major source of livelihood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our trikes have a special place out of the way. We were surprised to be loaded first.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we got off the ferry we were greeted by this farm stand…easy pricing, whatever you choose…100¥
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have grown accustomed to seeing these fishing boats with their distinctive shape ans we have made our way along the coast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have arrived at the island of Nagashima and are greeted by this oversized rabbit who is made of dried Japanese spruce and acorns for eyes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A shrine in the Nagashima harbour
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nagashima is a small island with many hills
Heart 1 Comment 0
A mosaic mural at a local school
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think that the squid is telling people how to behave while travelling past the school zone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are really impressed with the pride that people take in their island. Beautiful flowers line the streets
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped at a rest stop for lunch. Barry had lightly seared tuna on a bed of rice. Delicious!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had spicy pork with salad and miso soup
Heart 2 Comment 0
A dinosaur made of wood.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bougainvillea, love it. The tropics are getting closer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then beds of cosmos to do to our floral tour on Nagashima.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSo very nice to see the colorful flowers along your ride!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
A fish/sea creature made of bamboo and wood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Okay, it’s official. Nagashima will be remembered as more than an island of hills - it is also a place of beautiful flowers, art pieces, outstanding views, great food and welcoming people.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A love of flowers is evident here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another creature made of dried Japanese spruce in front a produce business. We think there must be a contest or a public desire for these creations. Very effective.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poinsettias growing alongside the road…pretty cool.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNeat - I've never seen poinsettias growing wild...
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Meet Splat, a lovely praying mantis that Barry got to know. Unfortunately Splat didn’t look both when crossing the road….well that’s the end of the story.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rich FrasierEvidently an appropriate name...poor guy!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Terraced garden beds stretching to the sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another creation, this time a truck made of bamboo. A funny thing, there are no bathrooms and we thought this lookout with some bushes would be just the spot. Well, that is until a camping van pulled up…and then out came the retriever. We will have to find another spot…yikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With climbing comes incredible views. Love this beach with the aquamarine waters crashing in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Could it get any better? Well yes, it did when this golden retriever joined us with his family at the lookout. We both love animals and have a particular fondness for this breed due to Mochi at home on Saltspring Island.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The is nothing like a dog licking you to make you laugh.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Loved this planting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just about to leave Nagashima on the bridge, and we were greeted by this family with very playful kids.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Papa keeping an eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nagashima…we will miss you. What a day!
Heart 0 Comment 0

This small island, 10 miles long and 7 miles across is full of interesting, beautiful places. It is small but mighty with hills, flowers, art and it gave us an extraordinary time. We will not forget this gem.

We are now entering Kagoshima prefecture and a Michi-no-eki greets us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As befits the location, seafood is a huge feature here.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And of course soft serve which we feel we deserve after a hard, but rewarding day of riding.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rich FrasierOf course you deserve it! Good work!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
And of course, to cap off the day…more artistic creations using natural materials…a bear with her cub and a very happy..dog, or house or .
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,598 km (992 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0