Riding the Shimanto River ~ Japan’s longest uncontrolled river - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 17, 2023

Riding the Shimanto River ~ Japan’s longest uncontrolled river

Kubokawa to Shimanto River

We have had a truly spectacular day.
We enjoyed an exceptional breakfast at Ryokan Mimi. After the rain of yesterday, the weather this morning looks promising. However the temperatures have dropped and rain is coming.

Something we love about Japanese meals is the thoughtful and attractive way it is served. The small plates offer the right quantity with each item immaculately prepared and seasoned…quality over quantity…
Heart 3 Comment 0
This was a new item for us…a type of dried seaweed covered in a salty mixture. Tasty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry stirring up his natto, an item you love or hate. We have learned to mix it with some rice and soy sauce which makes it more palatable for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Green tea for breakfast followed by coffee. The Lavazza machine defeated us, but help was at hand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A frothy, yummy Latte.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Following Route 381 was a good choice for us. We enjoyed unobstructed views of the river while being surrounded by  the towering forested hills we have come to associate with Shikoku. The road surface and paved sidewalk were excellent, the traffic was light and despite cold temperatures with rain which developed through the day, we felt that this was a day to remember.

Ryokan Mimi has a long history as a family business since the 1930’s.  The younger generations are continuing the traditions as well as expanding and modernizing their accommodations with a second building. Our spacious room was in the original building and offered us a seating area overlooking the gardens, and 2 tatami rooms: one for sleeping and one with a table for eating, drinking tea…. There were many treasures on display throughout.

We both loved this young samurai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First, we were drawn to the roosters and then we enjoyed the figures of the older women in traditional dress.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready to hit the road. Saying farewell to wonderful hosts and another great experience.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are beginning to see the coming of fall colours.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The Shimanto River is the longest, uncontrolled river in Japan. We were intrigued by the “submersible bridges” that are positioned  at the level of the river, well below our route . These cement bridges feature a single lane with no curb along the side nor railings. The design of the bridge has a time proven effectiveness, since when the water level rises, there is no damage to the bridge. It becomes submerged and as the water levels lower, the bridge emerges. 

We have yet to see one of these creatures, but the signs are featured often along the way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the many submersible bridges at the level of the river. The expression “don’t drink and drive” seems especially apt here.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSeems like they should still have guardrails on these submersible bridges...?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
There are many villages along the river’s edge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The more traditional design of the submersible bridge. The design has certainly stood the test of time and the forces of nature.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a treat to ride along a river whose course and flow are left to nature and not determined by man’s intervention
Heart 2 Comment 0
We can’t resist an image of a cat (or dog). Liked this whimsical cat painted on the shed.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Peter SpindloeThat's a Totoro from the movie "My Neighbour Totoro," one of the most popular Japanese movies in Japan and abroad. It's well-worth watching and pretty easy to find.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettThanks Peter. We will definitely check that out.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The skies are still blue, but the temperatures are dropping…cold and damp. A Michi-no-Eki to our rescue just when we need it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry had a set meal of udon soup and a pork cutlet on a yummy, creamy egg mixture on rice.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our favourite seasoning…spicy, orange pepper.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This lovely owl figurine was positioned where we were seated.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pictures captures the beauty ofour ride today. We are lucky that the rain and wind that are coming, have held off for now.
Heart 4 Comment 0
But it is cold….
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a gorgeous part of the river…the white spot is an egret in flight.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old and the new, side by side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Initially we were worried that this sign was a warning of vipers in the river, but it is an advertisement for boat tours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this poster featuring the submersible bridge, such an iconic image of the Shimanto River.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At this point, we have taken  refuge in another Michi-no-eki…..we were so cold and the rain comes and goes. I think the highest temperature today has been 7 degrees C. We have decided against camping and we’re trying to find accommodation. There is nothing we can book online in this area. A young woman working at the Michi came over and asked if we were in trouble. She took on helping us find a place to stay and phoned Hotel Siera.. Yeah, we have a room for tonight. Thank you Miho!

We are so grateful for Miho’s help.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, riding in 44 degree temps is a little bit of a challenge!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We arrived at Hotel Siera Shimanto with the wind howling and the rain coming down. We are lucky to have a room with a spectacular view of the Shimanto River. We are dressed in our Japanese robes and are headed to the Onsen for a restorative soak in the hot, therapeutic water.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 898 km (558 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0