Onomichi - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 30, 2023

Onomichi

Yesterday’s riding took a backseat to sightseeing, visiting Michi-no-ekis, meeting people and to just being tourists. We had a great day, but we didn’t get very far. We discovered that accommodation  possibilities are not as available on a Sunday as many close for the day. So, our next option was to ride until we found a place to wild camp. As it was getting to be dusk, we had some challenges. However, luck was with us as we found a great spot with lovely bathrooms and electricity for charging our bike batteries and phones.  We usually find that if we don’t overreact, something will turn up.

Our place to camp tonight…close to the water lined with palm trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have set up our tent close to the bathrooms (also known as our charging station). Guess who needs a shower to wake up?
Heart 1 Comment 0
“Home is where you lie your head”. We are very happy to have found such a well equipped spot for our night of camping. Despite knowing that we are allowed to camp wild wherever we please (within practical considerations for locals), we still try not to draw too much attention to ourselves. We appreciate that this is possible
Heart 4 Comment 0
We will sleep in the shadow of our protector…the dinosaur. The bridge we will take tomorrow morning is within sight.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bay is busy with ship traffic and we will hear the gentle sounds as we rest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are very grateful for this building which houses a bathroom block. We will discover in the light of day that this park is the grounds for a pool and slide complex. It is closed for the season but they keep the bathrooms open.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The women’s bathroom…nicely decorated and the nice touch of tiles featuring Minnie Mouse. The men’s bathroom has tiles of….you guessed it…Mickey Mouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is morning and the dinosaur did well keeping an eye on things for us.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We love tropical plants and would love to see the blossoms that are nearly ready to bloom on the long stalk.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCentury plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_americana
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we found while camping yesterday, it really cools down at night and the ground is very wet with dew. Nonetheless, we had a good nights and awoke to a beautiful day. We only have another island and 2 ferries to reach Onomichi, so it will be a short day of riding. We’ll sightsee a bit in Onomichi, stay over and then head back to Imabari.

The bridge which will take us to Onomichi is different than the other 5 bridges. The bike lane is on a level below the cars.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Love the downhill ride from the bridge back to sea level.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are having a great ride along the coast. Most of the stairwells in the breakwater are occupied by people fishing. They appear to be set up for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We both got this sticker for our trikes….couldn’t resist the one with a cat riding its bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry eagerly connects with any dog he meets. This one was special between a 3 legged dog and a man on a 3 wheeled bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are in Mandarin country….lots of farm stands with luscious sweet mandarins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Persimmons are also in season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several car and bike ferries offer transportation to Onomichi. The organizers recommend not to use the final bridge as the road and approach is too narrow and dangerous for bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have loved riding over the 6 bridges, but we are enjoying the final approach to be by a small ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Onomichi is a busy port.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This strange looking bike appealed to our love of quirky bikes. We have read that it takes much work, core strength and skill to ride it.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich FrasierWow. Did you try to ride it?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltThat's an interesting bike - a Half Bike?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We do love dogs and we have a soft spot for golden retrievers (miss you Mochi!) we were so impressed, the woman simply gestured and the dogs knew how to position themselves and pose for the photo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We found a gem of a hotel in Onomichi, the Onomichi Kokusai. The price was right, it was elegantly appointed and they had a special secure spot for bicycles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This storage area is locked and the best option we have found in any hotel. Thanks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw that they were offering Happy Hour, 50% off beverages in the lounge. So,we took advantage of that and had ramen for dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We both had ramen for dinner….also tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0


Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 158 km (98 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0