Another day riding the Shimanami Kaido and Camping - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

October 29, 2023

Another day riding the Shimanami Kaido and Camping

We awoke, excited to continue our adventure on the Shiminami Kaido route. The cycling is superb with an incredible infrastructure.  It is so well organized with excellent signage and  blue lines painted on the road to guide you along the way. No need for GPS or google maps. It is also accessible to riders of many abilities. Riding on the islands follows mostly flat terrain. Climbing to and descending from the height of the suspension bridges is a circuitous route reducing the gradient to 3% which makes it accessible. You can count on the climb being 1-2 Km in length.

It was indeed a cold night in the tent. We awoke to the sunrise and enjoyed the quiet solitude that comes with camping away from crowds. We have learned that hotel prices are much higher on the weekend, so camping is a good alternative. Our campground was made up of mostly cyclists with a few motorbike/scooters as well- we were the only foreigners. We got to meet a few of  our neighbours and one fellow from Osaka, invited us over for a “party”. On a portable wood fuelled barbq, he prepared chicken pieces and gyoza, plus he poured a dram of Nagoya Scotch for us.  What a delightful way to be welcomed into the world of Japanese camping with a local cyclist. We were all tired, so after half an hour we retired to our respective tents.

We awoke early to a beautiful sunrise over the Inland Seto Sea.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Barry, as usual, got up first and enjoyed the peaceful morning quiet of a campground by the sea. He watched a heron across the bay sitting on a rock, perhaps taking in the warmth of the early morning sun.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Pictured below is the beach in front of our tent. Paradise, indeed.

Our campground is on a wee island, Michikajima, with access part way across the second bridge called Hakata-Oshima (when coming from Imabari). There is no signage for the campground, just a sign identifying the name of the Island, Michikajima with a paved route down to the campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Being the weekend, the campground is busier than weekdays, yet still very quiet. We are the tent on the far right, closest to the bathrooms. There is also a large washing up area with several sinks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We joined the fellow who has the Nemo tent for a party/visit last night. He had a weekend free, so he took the same overnight ferry we took from Osaka (a few days later), rode to the campground for an overnight stay. He will return to Osaka tonight on the same overnight ferry. Impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our view of the next island, Hakatajima.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The small trees near the water were a network of woven branches, creating a beautiful shelter of sorts for the tents
Heart 3 Comment 0
A view of the campground showing the washing area and the suspension bridge above. If you are looking for the campground and miss the sign, you can see the campground from the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
“Happy trikes, happy life”
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not sure of the purpose of this building, it is locked. But the covered area provides shelter if needed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at camp: coffee from a vending machine, raisin buns and mandarin jam we bought at a Michi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoyed visiting with this young man, Yuki from Hiroshima. He rides a lovely Kona bike and he has a talent for creating and making beautiful functional items like his bike packing bags.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Yuki was one of the first campers to come over and visit with us. His sewing and design is impeccable, as shown by the frame bag he had made. So often in Japan, we see people “living their passions”.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A ship yard across the bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Michikajima Island…campground in yellow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back on the bridge and ready for another day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The views continue to delight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the next island, Hatakajima, is a Glamping campground where you can swim with the dolphins in an enclosed area off shore. Somehow, our free camping offered us more of what we are looking for, rather than a stay here for about $300.,
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith Adams$300?! Yikes! I don't stay in hotels that often so much, let alone a campground even if it is "glamping". I'm definitely in agreement with your choice. "Free" is my favorite price.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The cycling route is the yellow line.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oh yes, Hallowe’en is coming. Local cyclists in celebration mode.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bari-san is everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our favourite treats, mini pancakes with red bean filling. In honour of the area, the image of a bicycle is imprinted on it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Who knew that a bike rack could be an art installation?
Heart 3 Comment 0
A problem we will have today is making time and distance. Michi-no-Ekis are plentiful along the route, and we do like to stop and check them out. This Michi is next door to the glamping camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The welcoming Tori gates indicate a shrine is up those stairs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love the colours of bamboo in the foreground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spectacular views along the way…another island coming up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great signage with painted images and distances painted on the path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of an iconic suspension bridge of our route ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This gigantic fish above the tank advertises that at the cafe, you can choose the fish you have for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Michi-no-Eki had wonderful displays of local fish in huge tanks at the entry. It could be your lunch…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Before visiting Japan, we had no idea that sweet treats would be such a big thing here. And they are so tasty. Thank goodness we ride everyday, or else we might not fit in the plane for our return.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
At this Michi, this lock is known as The Happiness Clock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice looking bridge!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
This older man is hard at work cleaning up the fallen bark and branches from the palm trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Imabari has a reputation in Japan as the place renowned for towel making. This tradition goesback100+ years.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - a towel museum!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Mandarin soft serve…delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On our first trip to Japan, we were confounded by these machines where you order food. Somehow, this trip, we are figuring it out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vending machines rule in Japan. Whatever you want, you will find it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a strange occurrence- first of all, we met Tim, a Canadian. Secondly, he knows Saltspring Island and his wife is related to a woman in my book club. Small world.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Barry BartlettYes, it was amazing.
Also….. I have tried to respond to your comment asking for our hotel name in Onomichi but the link isn’t in the journal. We stayed at Onomichi Kokusai Hotel. Thank you so much as I discovered that most of the captions for that day had disappeared. Have just updated that.
Mary Ellen
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beware of wild animals…in this case, wild boars. We are in the heart of mandarin fields and they must love mandarins.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Look at the size of these mandarins-no wonder they attract boars. (Just a joke, they are art pieces!)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such a pretty sight for us-a road lined with palm trees in the setting Sun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have had an extraordinary day….sightseeing, multiple Michi-no-Eki’s, meeting new people, etc. The only downside of this is that we ran out of time. At dusk, we found a field with bathrooms (part of a pool complex) and we set up camp. So glad we brought our tent.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 133 km (83 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is such an outstanding route, and such an impressive infrastructure investment. Biking it was one of the greatest highlights of our tour 15 years ago.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago