Heading west across Kyushu - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2023

Heading west across Kyushu

We have had a delightful stay at this grand old hotel, the Rembrandt Hotel Oita. Like so many hotels of this era, everything is oversized, like the ballroom sized lobby and common areas. Weddings and conferences are a significant part of their business. We always feel a bit conspicuous and underdressed when we enter with our panniers and tired from a day of riding. Regardless of that, we are always greeting with warm Japanese hospitality. With so many new hotels, we benefit from the competition which keeps prices low.

Breakfast in our room…granola, bananas and milk, tamago like egg snack (so good), mini pancakes with margarine and maple syrup already inside. Processed food at its finest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Last night we went to the Onsen. The complete floor is a fitness area with a gym, a swimming pool and the onsen. We will really miss Onsens when we go home. Somehow, the concept of getting into a tub without cleansing yourself first feels strange to us now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our comfy room. The Rembrandt, despite its age, remains the tallest hotel in Oita which gives us a lovely view of the city and hills beyond.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have enjoyed Oita and wondered if the special sttractions of Beppu can overshadow it a bit. We are heading in the direction of the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Refreshed and ready to go. Not sure of how far we will get today as the coming day brings lots of hills
Heart 2 Comment 0
A new day, a new manhole cover…. in Oita.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Oita we crossed the Oitagawa River on this bridge which had painted panels depicting the area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Farewell Oita….on to Mt. Aso, or at least in that direction.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A nod to the fire workers of Oita.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Riding through the countryside we stumbled upon this beautiful shrine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are trying to create our own routes as we go. The Ride with GPS route is too circuitous and the main roads are busier than we like. We took a chance on small lines on the map which follow the rivers and were rewarded with a fantastic ride. We met this group of 3 riders who were doing the same thing. What a treat to ride on quiet roads with little traffic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These riders were from Oita and were so much fun to talk to. I
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is fun to meet like minded people who love to ride…common spoken language not necessary.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We enjoy finding routes that follow rivers
Heart 3 Comment 0
Such a beautiful ride with the hills getting closer
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is a glorious fall day
Heart 2 Comment 0
The occasional car and train rolling by are the only traffic for much of the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The distinctive profile of low slung, long river boats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been struggling with where to stay tonight. Accommodation is not plentiful in this area, so we thought we might wild camp until we saw this “free campground” on the map. What a find…and of course it is on the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have heard of free campgrounds but had no idea how great they are. Funny enough, they are not free…400¥ per person and 1000¥ per tent. Nonetheless, they are excellent value. We enjoyed incredible facilities with a shower building with seating inside (plus places to charge our batteries and devices), bathrooms, washing areas, beautiful sites for camping and sites for dog owners with their site fenced in to give their dogs a large place to run. Hammocks were strung between the trees. This place is a labour of love for campers.

To add to all of this, we were greeted by this cat who just wanted cuddles and attention. So tempting to take him with us. There is a curious phenomenon in Japan where cars can have a “corkscrew” tail. It naturally sits coiled but it can stretch out. Never seen this before coming to Japan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And off he goes with his tail as straight as it gets.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It must be the time of year, but the evenings get so cold here. We go to bed in our tent with layers of clothes to keep us warm. Looking  forward to getting in our sleeping bags and having a good sleep.

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,097 km (681 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0