Exploring Hell and Beyond - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2023

Exploring Hell and Beyond

What a good decision to turn around yesterday and return to Beppu despite being half way to Oita. Our experience here has been memorable on so many levels. From the people we met,  the ride up here on narrow curving roads giving us an insight  into how locals live, going to the Onsen, staying at the traditional inn, and best of all, being immersed in this culture. We awoke to a treat outside our door…our host had left a basket of eggs  and yams cooked in the hot steam. Yummy.

A view of Beppu Castle from our window.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The distinctive look of Beppu on a clear day with the plumes of thermal steam coming up through the ground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steam coming from poles as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This neighbourhood where we are staying, features a series of framed pictures done by a local artist detailing life in Beppu. Most homes and businesses have this artwork on an exterior wall.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beppu, a crazy, wonderful place.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking out the window from where we are staying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As you can see , the thermal steam can give the stucco homes a stained look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room at the guesthouse. We had our own toilet to use. However, private showers are not provided as the expectation is that you will use one of the many public baths in the neighborhood. The owner kindly offered us the use of her own private hot spring bath after breakfast. It was bliss!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Like neighbourhoods we  can remember growing up, everything happens on the street…socializing, resting, catching up with news from your neighbours, playing with your friends  and just watching the world go by.   The  sense of community here is very  strong with families living in the  same house for generations.  

This young man dropped by for a visit and he ended up test riding Barry’s trike. Good entertainment for the neighbours.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The look on his face tells us he is having fun. Nonetheless, he is not giving up his motorcycle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our host was a hoot…very hospitable, full of stories and very kind. We had fun here. In reading about her home, we learned that this place has been receiving guests for decades. Unlike now, where much of her business comes from tourists, when she was a child she remembers Japanese people coming and staying for weeks as for a therapeutic retreat.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Susan JamesYou two are truly great ambassadors to the world.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We are all heading off today and we share the destination of the area of Mt. Aso, a very active volcano in the centre of Kyushu. We will be getting there by different routes but perhaps we will see them again. We wish them well
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jan and Naemi are heading off, and as it goes in Beppu…you start by going up an incline.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We like seeing another cyclist with Arkel Panniers, made in Quebec Canada.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltA biking friend of mine REALLY loves the Arkel Panniers. :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Steamed dumplings, Beppu style. Most homes have a wooden box outside where food is cooked in the steam. Electric stoves are not so necessary here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A shrine on a neighbourhood street. Note the art hanging on the wall which is seen throughout this neighbourhood.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A local public bath…. a dollar a visit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is one of over 130 artworks displayed in the streets by a local artist
Heart 2 Comment 0
A free local onsen
Heart 1 Comment 0
A free hot spring foot bath. A local family joined us and we enjoyed talking to them.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This busy restaurant offered a variety of dishes that you cooked yourself in hot spring steam
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We tried drinking hot spring water. It is important that a person drinks no more than 60 ml a day….we didn’t come close and we don’t plan on drinking it again…..somewhat pungent for our uninitiated taste buds. Apparently it is good for constipation..
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lemon icecream
Heart 2 Comment 0
Custard steamed in the hot springs. Delicious.
Heart 3 Comment 1
A heron relaxing in Hell.
Heart 3 Comment 0

All too soon, it was time for us to leave this enchanting place. We took the scenic route through neighbourhoods heading down the hill. We didn’t get away from Beppu as early as we planned, since there was much to see. We’ll probably stay in Oita tonight and then start our ride across Kyushu via Mt.Aso.

As we neared Oita we were very impressed by the pretty waterfront area. This island is a favourite photo area for,newlyweds and we saw a 2 couples posing for their wedding pictures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a beautiful spot and completely accessible for all. We enjoyed riding around this lovely spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the young couples we saw on the island. Such a beautiful dress.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lover’s sanctuary where newlyweds get their photos taken
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another couple on their special day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many school groups come to this place to learn about ocean turtles and the impacts of litter on the ocean and its inhabitants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Special wheelchairs that can be used on the beach
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from our hotel in Oita. The kids from the local elementary school were playing soccer. It was very entertaining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridal Salons and beautiful wedding halls are big business at many hotels.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s all you can eat crab night at our hotel
Heart 3 Comment 0
Be warned…tattoos are not popular in Japan as they are associated with the syndicated crime group, Yakuza.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,052 km (653 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0