Heading in the direction of Nagasaki - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 28, 2023

Heading in the direction of Nagasaki

Well, as the saying goes, “the third times the charm”. It wasn’t planned this way, but we have stayed 3 nights in Kumamoto and tonight is our third hotel. We loved this hotel, Mitsui Garden Hotel Kumamoto and will look for others in this chain as we travel. Staff are incredible, the room was comfortable with a very functional eating area. This hotel clearly has a culture of individualized service to suit each guest’s needs. We have been struggling lately with some  hotels being very uptight regarding our trikes and unable to think outside the box.  As an example of how Mitsui Garden Hotel was different… when they saw our trikes they came up with a wonderful solution.  We brought them into the lobby, the manager cheerfully moved things to make a space for them  and cheerfully put up a temporary barricade.   Wow, how to make us feel welcome.

Upon departure, the young woman who works at the front desk was very interested in our travels and our trike. She insisted on carrying some of our heavy panniers and helped me out the door.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, what nice attention and customer service from the Mitsui Garden Hotel. :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
She is standing at the door to ensure that the automatic doors don’t close on me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are leaving Kumamoto happy with our stay here. Visiting the Castle was extraordinary and riding around getting to know different areas of the city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A glorious fall day on Kyushu, riding out of Kumamoto.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our destination is to ride to the ferry taking us to Shimabari in Nagasaki Prefecture. We have 15 km to go and we raced to connect with an earlier ferry. We got there in half an hour….thankfully the route was flat. We flew!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Countless cormorants on the river we were following.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As we were riding the last bit before the ferry, breathless and giving it all we had, we both had to laugh at a car which passed us. It was this couple and the woman held up her dog to give us a wave as they drove by. When we arrived at the terminal, they were waiting to wave us off.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ironically, I had read the ferry schedule wrong…I thought that it left at 11, but it didn’t leave until 11:10. Minutes to spare after all.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat you had extra time to make the ferry! :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Living on a small island that is only accessible by ferries, we have often experienced racing for a ferry and being the last car or bicycle to make the ferry. We definitely had a sense of deja vu today!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ferry crossing takes an hour. As usual, the ferry had comfortable seats that reclined and had pop down trays. We wonder why BC Ferries can’t provide comfort like this. The ride is pretty and interesting with these fishing areas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry was packed with excited students on a field trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
His teacher was not thrilled with his exhuberant goofiness.
Heart 2 Comment 0
His fellow classmates were too busy feeding the gulls to notice him. However, all eyes were on the funny looking foreigners in the high-vis jackets. A few students bravely stepped forward to speak to us in the english that they had learned in school.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We admired the courage of a young man who very formally asked us to stop and talk to him. He asked us very specific questions and when finished, he thanked us and said we could go. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
It will be interesting to celebrate Christmas in Japan. We aren’t sure what to expect, but they certainly are in the spirit of decorating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived at Shimabari…a new Island and region for us to explore. We have come here as our goal is to visit Nagasaki.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first stop after getting off of the ferry was at a Family Mart convenience store for coffee. The staff at this store take great pride in their store and have personalized the decor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hills are big and the countryside is beautiful and rugged. We left the busier road along the coast and have climbed to the rural area of the island. We will follow this for most of the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This region is known for its agriculture with cattle and vegetable farms. These cows heard us riding by and ran out….curious and wanting affection.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had another stop at a convenience store. Barry went in to use the rest room and came out with some sweet treats. As we were enjoying our snacks a man walked by and gave us a gift of delicious chocolate cookies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were riding through endless fields of vegetables. Produce is shipped from these farms….carrots being sorted.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Happy vegetables…
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose are great looking big carrots!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We are so glad that we chose to take the inland upper road as we have enjoyed seeing the farms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
People bring huge sacks of rice to these stalls along the road. They pour their rice in and out comes polished rice
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting how people pour in their rice and it gets polished!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
You choose how you want your rice polished.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at this great farmers market. Persimmons were drying in the sun. We bought a bag of mandarin oranges and a ripe persimmon. We hadn’t realized that to dry them it is best to peel them first.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These persimmons look like they are ready to eat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
200¥ (less than $2) for this bag of mandarins fresh from a farm nearby…sweet and juicy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is great to be able to sample the different mandarins before you make your choice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really enjoyed this unique farm stand with lots of personal touches like these whimsical pottery animals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys are a bit big to bring home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this traditional farm house surrounded by terraced rice fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The fields are beautiful with produce ready to be picked.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This mandarin tree growing at the side of the road is loaded with fruit.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's a huge mandarin tree with a ton of fruit!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We are loving the unique man hole covers we see in each town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we successfully made it to the ferry this morning, we realized we needed to make a plan. Nagasaki is too far and hotels are very difficult to find on our route. Plus, the hills are killing us. The 0nly hotel we could find was a Love Hotel called Chapel Coconuts, 4500¥ ($40) including breakfast.. That works for us, but the problem is…we can’t check in until 7 pm, and by then it is dark and cold. We asked to check in early but it would cost double our rate, so we decided 7 pm would be fine and find a Convenience Store in the vicinity to have dinner and keep warm. 

First problem was, Barry broke his front tooth…the same one he broke on our previous trip to Japan in the spring. The second problem was that the route was so challenging, that we took longer than anticipated, and ended up riding in the dark. Not a good thing when the road is narrow and commuter traffic is heavy. 
Anyway, we made it by 7 pm, the setting of our hotel overlooking the ocean was beautiful, the room was actually really nice and we settled in desperately in need of a hot shower and a good sleep. 
More about the Love Hotel tomorrow.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,303 km (809 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0