A Day Exploring Kumamoto Castle - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

A Day Exploring Kumamoto Castle

A nice view of the Castle from our room. A great view for our breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Marc BoutinHello from Marc, the Canadian guy in Eboni. Been twice to Kumamoto. I am now on Cycle Blaze. My journal is la Terre de Feu. I hope it’s not too cold
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Parking with the big boys! Like our like our previous night at Hotel Wing, the staff here were confounded by our trikes. Barry had done due diligence earlier and a member of staff showed Barry that we could park our trikes with the staff…no charge. When, we checked in, the senior staff overruled her and said we must park with the cars…1000¥. C’est la vie.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kumamoto Castle is regarded as one of the top 3 in the country along with Himeji and Matsumoto, and that is saying something in a country filled with extraordinary castles. So, it is a must see. It dates back to 1467.  Being in an area of active earthquakes and surviving multiple rebellions , this castle has had a history fraught with destruction and restorations. 
The Castle was besieged in 1877 during the Matsuno Rebellion when the Castle Keep and other areas were burned down.   In 1960 the Castle Keep was rebuilt using concrete. 
We can see from our window, the recent destruction from an earthquake on April 24, 2016, and also from a larger earthquake the following day, destroying major areas of the castle. Repairs began immediately. We can see a field of large rocks…each tagged and labelled as the meticulous work of replacing rock walls with exacting measurements to replace damaged areas.

A view of the Castle Keep.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The boulders laid out with meticulous care given to the size and placement of each boulder. A huge undertaking.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, they are going to replace the boulders in the same place where they were before the earthquake?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
A photo of destruction from the 2016 earthquake.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltIt will take 20 YEARS to complete restoration??! Wow.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

The reconstruction project is expected to take 20 years. It is mind boggling to grasp the scope of this undertaking and hope that no further damaged occurs before they are finished.

The huge field is covered with a number school groups who have come for a tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see damage to the building on the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Extensive walkways have been constructed to allow tourists access to the Keep. Elevators have also been installed to help all visitors have unrestricted access to all floors of the keep. This level of access for those with mobility issues is the best we have seen. Mary Ellen’s knees really appreciated the elevators.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is too tall for this walkway…beware, and we are so cosy in our new jackets.
Heart 1 Comment 1
marilyn swettThis picture made me laugh with Barry in his down jacket and bare feet!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

The importance of this Castle to locals is clear to see. We see couples, like the one below, dressed for the day in traditional dress. Also, families with very young children come attired in traditional dress giving respect. Most moving, was a family who brought their newborn child to the Shrine  at the Castle  for its first visit.

The beautiful ginkgo tree is so glorious with its golden fall foliage. This tree has significance as it is thought to have been planted by the original builder of the Castle, Kato Kiyomasa in 1607. For this reason, Kumamoto Castle has earned the other name as the Ginkgo Castle. In 1877 during the Satsumo Rebellion, the tree burned down and a seedling from the tree was replanted after the fire.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just enjoying the day….and a rest before the climbing starts.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Due to the restoration, we only have access to the Castle Keep and this alone, offers a significant tour. We imagine that if the Castle was fully open, that it would take more than a day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A model of the castle…perhaps we’ll return one day for a visit when it reopens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Earthquake preparedness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ginkgo tree dominates the square. A good view of the surroundings of Kumamoto from the top of the Keep.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel last night. We were lucky to have a room on the 11th floor with a grand view of the Castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat is one big Ginkgo tree!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The grounds are vast. We made the mistake of parking our trikes by the wrong gate. We must have walked miles within the castle grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From afar, our lack of understanding, led us to the thinking that they were building a modern structure here. Of course, they aren’t…the protective structure surrounds the part of the castle that is being rebuilt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The school kids are so excited to be on a field trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry, the Samurai in disguise.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The carpet of golden leaves from the beloved ginkgo tree. Love its fan shaped leaf.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great group of kids having a great day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tunnel of darkness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Charming Tori Gate in the tree and a wee shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A place for people to come and place their wishes at the Shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tori Gates welcoming you to the Shrine on the Castle grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were able to get a calligraphy done by the monk at the shrine for our book.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street cars in downtown Kumamoto. We are now back in the 20th century after inhabiting history at the Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christmas decorations are up and it isn’t quite December yet. Japan loves to celebrate holidays and special days. It is big business to order special cakes for Christmas and Convenience Stores, like this Lawson’s have catologues of cakes and sweets you can pre-order.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry went out for groceries and got our meal of Bento boxes at Hotto Motto. He explored a long pedestrian shopping area with many restaurants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweets for dessert from an incredible bakery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We spent the day at the castle and realized we should stay in Kumamoto for the third night. Each night in a different hotel and on the third night, we got it right. We loved this hotel and unlike the other two, they ushered us into the lobby with our trikes and welcomed us unreservedly. Incredible hospitality and service.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 1,241 km (771 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0