Exploring Mt. Aso - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

Exploring Mt. Aso

We have lots to do today…so we need an early start. Breakfast in our room, check out of the hotel and leave our panniers and trikes with the hotel for the day.  Our priority  is to spend time on Mt Aso and explore the crater. This will make our day different as we won’t be cycling…we’ll take a bus to Aso City, then transfer to the shuttle bus for a visit to the crater, do some hiking and then take the  bus back to Uzo, pick up our trikes, etc. for the ride to Kumamoto. Should be fun.

The bus ride up to the crater of Mt. Aso confirmed our choice not to ride up. We had been advised that the ride takes at least 1 1/2 hours each way and is quite dangerous. The road is narrow with no shoulder and much of the time there is a deep drop at the side of the road. Mostly big buses and cars fill these roads and there is no space for a bike, let alone a trike. Early on, we both could see that riding would be crazy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also learned that a heavy wind is typical up here and higher you go, the colder it gets. It is a luxury at this point to have someone else do the heavy work.  We were in awe of the skill of the bus drivers to navigate these buses. On the way up, the bus struggled with the weight of the full bus on the steep climb and coming down, it’s all about the brakes.

This warning is something to take seriously. Luckily today the danger is very low, but we wore masks nonetheless. On days when the toxicity of the emissions is high, Mt. Aso is closed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are so excited to have the opportunity to visit Mt. Aso, Japan’s largest active volcano and amongst the largest in the world. The caldera is like a large cauldron-like hollow that forms shortly after the eruption. The perimeter of the crater is an incredible 125 km and   the tallest peak here is over 5,200 feet.  The most recent eruption began at 11:43 am on October, 20, 2021.  It is stunning to realize that the city of Aso and the valley encompass the caldera of the original eruption.

In 1934, the area was established as Aso National Park, inspired by the establishment of Yellowstone Nstional Park in the US. 

Today the warning is blue…and that’s good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of the crater and the ever present steam coming from this active volcano is impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is hard to capture the enormous size of the crater. Being in its presence, there is no doubting the active nature of this volcano.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The volcano continuously emits smoke and has occasional eruptions. The most recent being 2015, 2016 and 2021.

Centuries in the making, the layers and the colours of Mt. Aso.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can imagine the flow of lava creating these indelible markings on the rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seeing the fluorescence of yellow at the bottom through the haze of smoke seemed to shine up at us like a bright light.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is fascinating to witness the geological formations and layers of rock which have been formed from volcanic activity.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The perfect ridge in the foreground and the layers of colour up the cliffs were impressive to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was very cold and windy at the crater….we had everything on that we could fit under our coats and slacks, and still, we were frozen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Regardless of the best laid plans in visiting Mt. Aso and doing due diligence regarding conditions on the day, you can never count on it being open. If the quality of the air or the level of volcanic activity is unsafe, the gates for access will be closed. We were lucky that it was ok on this day.  

It is fascinating to see in person the evidence of how geologic changes have taken place and patterns which have emerged.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two very cold people who are having an unforgettable day and an exhilarating visit to this iconic natural site.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We appreciated the organized and accessible paths which allowed us to have safe vantage points.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are many shelters like this dome structure st the crater,where people can take refuge when needed if volcanic activity occurs.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - the concrete shelters in case the volcano erupts!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wondered how vegetation survives such inhospitable conditions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We hope this photo gives a sense of the vastness of this remarkable place. This view represents just a small area of the enormous crater. A series of concrete refuge huts are a sobering reminder of the constant active nature of this volcano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It almost feels like a moonscape….other worldly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is hard to imagine that these concrete structures would save you, but I would certainly give it a try if needed.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltIf there were fiery blobs coming down, I think the shelters would help...but what about if there's a flow of lava coming at you??
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The bus system up the mountain is very organized and we highly recommend the service as a way to explore Mt. Aso.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful grasslands below Mt. Aso. Trees don’t grow on these volcanic mountains which makes for an unusual sight in Japan. Typically hills and mountains here are covered in dense forest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Horses and cattle thrive on these grasslands of the mountain. Such a beautiful sight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We always appreciate seeing infrastructure being established with cyclists needs in mind. This was at the Michi-no-eki in Aso City for cyclists who ride up the mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have taken the bus back to Uzo, retrieved our belongings and are riding to Kumamoto. This lovely cat was snoozing on his pillow by the window. As I rode by, the cat sat up and gave me a very curious look. A beauty…
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re guessing that this sign is for a physiotherapist….or are they pictures of Barry with his bad back and Mary Ellen with her aching knees? Thanks Steve (of the Grampies)…it is an Osteopathic Clinic.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAccording to Google lens, it's an osteopathic clinic. The hours are 8:30- 7:30 or one can call the number after that. I think with an osteopath they push (on) you, while with a physio you have to push yourself.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Barry BartlettThanks Steve.
You may have guessed we have had tough riding and tired- too lazy to translate. I will add your info to that caption.
Lucky us, it is unseasonably cold at the moment but we carry on. Bought a few down jackets at Montbell. Amazing experiences
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have settled in to our hotel and have walked to a nearby ramen restaurant. You know it’s good when there is a line up waiting patiently for their turn at the counter.The fried chicken was sensational.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are fascinated by these ramen places, the expertise of the chefs and their loyal following. Plus, the food is exceptional.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We each had ramen soup and shared a side of gyoza and chicken.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One doesn’t need a well stocked toiletry case when travelling in Japan. Accommodations here, no matter how humble, provide toothbrushes with toothpaste, razors, body creams, facial products. If you need it, they probably will have it. As well, an electric trouser press is always available. Somehow, we don’t seem to need that.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Welcome to our somewhat bizarre room at Hotel Wing International. The window is glazed and has no view, the wall treatment gave Barry a headache and there wasn’t much furniture. However, they typically have a great breakfast buffet. We’ll check it out in the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This has been an incredible day…one we will both remember. Mt. Aso, a place of wonder and heartbreak, regrowth and devastation. We feel privileged to have been able to visit this special place. 

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,221 km (758 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0