Awakening to the sounds of the sea - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 9, 2023

Awakening to the sounds of the sea

It was good to camp again. At times we wonder if we could divest ourselves of some weight and send some heavy pieces home. However, last night reaffirmed the importance of having our tent etc as we were in an area where there was no accommodation available. We also like that Japan is supportive of camping wild which we have done a few times so far. 

Breakfast at camp is the best. Aeropress coffee, granola with mandarins (gift from yesterday) served on our wee Snow Peak table. Life is good.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a helpful little lightweight table you have!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We awoke to an overcast morning…we know that rain is coming later today. The tide is going out at the beach in front of our campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
When we arrived at dusk, it was a bit disorientating as there were no signs. Thank goodness Barry needed a bathroom, as it helped us find the campground. The cement building on the left houses the bathrooms and is part of the campground. There is a bigger field for camping next to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had been told by other campers that an elderly couple managed the campground. Wow, they arrived just before we left and we don’t how they are carrying on. Neither has much mobility and any task is onerous. Barry went over to pay($10 Can.) and was gone some time.

The coast off Ebisu village
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The small village of Ebisu. We watched men gathering to visit early in the morning while on their morning constitutional and imagined that this has been a routine established over a lifetime.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Checking the fly for dampness. The last item to be packed before we head out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing over from Ebisu, this bridge had striking panels related to the area.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a long and hilly day of riding yesterday, our motors and phones needed charging. We found a friendly Family Mart, bought some coffee and sat for a long while getting enough charge to get through the day. Barry wandered over to the Michi-no-ski and took photos to share some of the local products. 

This dish is a specialty of the region…pork and egg over rice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Local rice for sale at the Michi. We’d buy it just for the label. It is organically grown in the area using chicken manure from local farms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Local seaweed products sourced from by local divers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Various local seaweed products
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Temple #23 Yakuouji (of the 88 Temple Pilgrimage) in Miami.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry performing the ceremonial cleansing of his hands before entering. He scoops water from the trough and finishes by rinsing in to the ditch.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This sign tactfully reminds drivers to have good driving habits and keep the Pilgrimage safe for walkers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the guardians of the Temple.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsIt's interesting that places so dedicated to peace, harmony, and serenity have such fearsome statues as a "welcome". A stark contrast, and something of a mixed message it seems to me.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
There are three sets of stone steps in the Temple. They are meant to ward off evil. Barry noticed that on some of the final set of steps to the Pagoda, there were Japanese penny coins. It is said that while making a monetary offering on a prescribed number of steps for women, men or those over the age of 60, you will be protected from bad luck.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Incense was burning in these pots.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another cleansing station
Heart 3 Comment 0
A street view of Minami town from the Temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gyoran-Kannon, the Goddess of Mercy
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the bells where worshippers pull the cord to ring the bell.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The final set of stairs leading to the Pagoda of Yugi, constructed in 1964 commemorating 1,150 years since the establishment of the Shikoku 88 Pilgrimage by Kobo Daishi
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pagoda of Yuji
Heart 1 Comment 0
Minami Castle high up in the hills across the way from where Barry is standing at Pagoda Yugi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yugi Pagoda is 90 feet tall and has a commanding presence over the town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After visiting one of the 88 Temples, we take our Nokyocho book to the office where a monk will stamp and do calligraphy significant to the temple we have visited. The items on the right are given to us as well. The top one was unique to this temple…we like its message that life is a pilgrimage. On the back of the card “A pilgrimage trip is a journey of training where you step away from everyday life, open yourself up and quietly reconsider your life.” This resonated for us as this sums up why we love to cycle tour.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes! Bike touring is a wonderful way to take a break from normal routines!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been wondering what the blue lines mean that we have seen recently on the roads. Now we know.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ramen for dinner…Barry’s favourite soy stock ramen with pork etc from Lawson’s convenience store.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our view from route 55 as we approached the town of Shishikui.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It feels so good to be by the Pacific Ocean.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Greeted by a lovely sunset as we approach Shishikui where we will stay for the next two nights..
Heart 7 Comment 0

We have had another incredible day of riding and exploring. Tomorrow the forecast is for heavy rain, and for some reason everything is fully booked. We were lucky to find a place which sounds lovely and is situated on the beach.

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 558 km (347 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan JamesI hope you are getting a good rest and feeling better. Take care of your health. :-)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago