A sushi spa day - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

January 6, 2024

A sushi spa day

We are really enjoying our stay in Ginowan. At this point in our trip, we are especially enjoying the relaxation and the simplicity of a well run hotel with thoughtful amenities. The staff are excellent, yet laid back. Our plan today is simple…go to a Conveyor Belt Sushi restaurant for lunch and then kick back at the Onsen where we went yesterday. With a ride thrown in, it feels like we have the makings of a good day.

Sushiro Sushi for lunch. During COVID, conveyor belt sushi restaurants had a rough time adjusting to regulations. They found an alternate way to deliver the sushi and now they are back in business
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a beautiful day and we are looking forward to some sushi.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Like other places we have been, everything is automated. You sign in on an ipad, indicate if you want to sit at the counter or a table and immediately you are given the number where your spot is. Staff are eager to help if you need assistance.

This is the typical set up at a Conveyor Belt sushi restaurant…powdered green tea and hot water on demand at the spout, a tub of pickled ginger, chopsticks, various kinds of soy sauce and ponzu sauce as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green tea fixings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first choices: (clockwise from the top left). Lightly broiled bonito tuna, grilled eel, seared salmon with cheese and basil sauce, and a second bonito tuna. Each one was an explosion of flavours. Oh, we will miss this quality of sushi when we go home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Broiled fatty salmon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really liked the grilled salmon with cheese and basil sauce, so we had another order. Also pictured here are gourmet tuna and grilled beef with cheese. The latter sounds odd, but it was delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Somehow, I couldn’t get past the look of this one. Barry, always up for a challenge, ordered this for himself….sea urchin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here he goes…
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two thumbs up …he liked it. I guess appearances aren’t everything.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tuna Yukke . Pardon the pun, but it tasted kind of yucky - somewhat gelatinous….not a favourite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
13 plates of sushi for 1800¥. ($16 Cdn and $12 US). Prices are set by the colour of the plate… 120¥, 280¥ and 360¥. The menu here was smaller than other conveyor belt sushi places we have tried, but we both agreed that the quality of the sushi was incredible and the best we have had.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are ready to visit the Onsen. One can spend a lot of time here. There are many different kinds of pools, waterfalls for easing back stiffness, saunas, relaxations areas to hang out and cool down. Plus there is a restaurant onsite. We usually have an ice cream from the machine and people watch, which is so interesting for us.

We’re back…looking forward to our spa” experience at the Onsen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Simple days, enjoying aspects of Japanese culture, make for a great day. It feels good to do as the locals do and share in their enjoyment of these experiences. At this point, we feel so immersed in Japanese daily life that we will have to deal with counter-culture shock when we get home.   Where is the onsen? Tipping…what’s that?! Did somebody forget to lay out a yukata on my bed for relaxing? Why aren’t people bowing to us as we pass by?  Sigh….

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 2,188 km (1,359 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0