A few days on the coast at Glory Island Okinawa - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

A few days on the coast at Glory Island Okinawa

The weather is a bit challenging at the moment…heavy rain at times, cold and windy. It was a good call to give ourselves a day off and stay for a few days at this beautiful locale along the coast. We are staying at Glory Island Okinawa. Each  unit is created within  a large container. It is quite comfortably appointed with a bedroom, cooking area, living room space, roof deck with a great view and a covered patio alongside which  doubles the floor space.

A hot tub and and eating area on the deck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are always happiest when our trikes have a covered area and can be stored close to us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are perched atop a cliff with a great view of the ocean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We can see farm land in the lush valley below and an island connected by a bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Wedding Arch is a photo spot for couples who get married here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching a fellow in his hang glider.. the wind is good today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Each unit is the same…they have 10 units here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are loving the lush sub tropical foliage of this part of Okinawa. The beautiful rutted, irregular shaped rock provides a fertile host for growth. We think it is karst.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had the bright idea to go out for lunch and chose a well reviewed Thai cafe called Cafe Curcuma. As you probably noticed by the location of our accomodation, we climbed to get there. Little did we know, that the cafe is at the top of the highest spot along this part of the coast. Truly, the gradients were at least 20%. However, it was beautiful country to ride through and worth it in the end.

The climb begins in this tropical paradise.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We reached our destination and marvelled at the quirky environment that had been created. You walk through this interesting area to reach the cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is getting more interesting with this area devoted to dinosaurs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have never seen anything quite like this charming place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have reached the cafe. We like it here, so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The maître’d seems to be a bit stiff but friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We shared a couple of dishes..Shrimp Pad Thai and chicken curry.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Thai Food was delicious and worth the ride up.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have really enjoyed the afternoon up here at Cafe Curuma and their extensive property with the campground. It has added to our mellow getaway at Glory Island Okinawa.

A killer view from the restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After lunch we rode next door to see their campground. It is a beautiful spot with an incredible view. They have set it up with gazebos, areas to sit at the cliff’s edge, and lovely natural landscaping. Apart from the ride to get here, it is a primo camping spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view from the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up view of the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tree is known as the Adan or Screwpine Tree. The fruit is edible but its taste is not considered to be very pleasant. Birds and crabs seem to enjoy it though. Fibres can be produced from the root of the tree and the leaves are used for handicrafts such as mats, rugs and baskets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading down. It is about 2 km up from the main road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A path through the forest to a well hidden shrine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The forest is like a lush jungle with huge growth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Returning to our place after the ride. When we left the skies were clear, but the wind has changed the weather a bit. The pool is not too appealing as the water is quite cold. Behind the pool is the restaurant on the 2nd level
Heart 2 Comment 0
Glory Villa units as seen from the deck above the pool. Their concept of using containers is a clever idea and they have done a great job of creating a homey, comfortable space. Our unit is the first unit on the right in the back row.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 1,842 km (1,144 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0