Wrapping it up: A week in Norseman? - Go East old man... - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2014

Wrapping it up: A week in Norseman?

After a week of waiting and recovering in Norseman I decided to pull the plug on this tour and head back to Perth. I found I like Norseman; there are some interesting people living here and I can recommend the Railway Motel if you're staying overnight.

I spent a week here trying to see if "my condition" would clear up enough to ride on. To be fair to my backsides, it did clear up quite a bit, but not enough to keep riding on across the Nullabor. I even managed a short round trip of 80 km to check out the old Dundas Telegraph Line - it has the makings of an interesting & challenging alternative route to Balladonia.

A few days after I left there were screaming tail winds (50 kmph +). That would be a once in a lifetime experience: getting blasted across the Nullabor without effort (go Jeff and Helen!!). It looks like the winds have changed now (12/09/14) and it's blowing consistent Easterlies, probably for the rest of the summer/autumn. If you're planning to cross this continent now, it might be best to start in Sydney....

Getting out of Norseman cheaply with bike and a full set of touring gear can take a bit of doing if you're not riding it. I got lucky. On the morning of the 5th of Sept. friends from Sydney passed through on their way to Perth and swept me up as they went through. I was back in civilization by nightfall.

So, what did I learn?

Doing this tour cowboy slow & easy has allowed me to get this far and enjoy my time. I don't think I'd want to do it any other way. Although to be truthful, riding those last three days into Norsemen were too painful to qualify as fun. Challenging and enlightening: oh yes. A whole lot of touring fun: no, not really.

I met a whole lot of interesting people - the best part of travel.

You see Ron and his dog around town, take the time to say hello. One of the most interesting people I've had the pleasure to meet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And I saw some very nice Australian bush at the best time of year.

McDermid Rock around sunset
Heart 1 Comment 0

I learned how to fix a wobbly wheel.

Needs must when the devil drives ... so now I know how to fix a toasted wheel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bruce taught me about windguru.cz and waiting to ride with the wind.

Jeff taught me that if you're crossing the Nullabor, you can send a food parcel to the roadhouse at Mundrabilla (just phone ahead and let them know it's coming).

And I got out there and "worked it" a bit: even at this age I realise I still need the physical challenge and cycle touring sure is a nice way to get it. I need more of this stuff.

And I learned that I have to listen to my body when it tells me it's time to quit. Hey, just because I learned it, doesn't mean I necessarily enjoyed the lesson - first time my body has asserted itself like that. Probably won't be the last time either...

The old telegraph track runs 190 km to Balladonia. Maybe next time?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm booked to see the specialist in a couple of weeks to get "my condition" seen to. I'll have to queue for surgery time, and then there will be recovery time... It will be a few weeks/months before I'm touring again.

Meanwhile, I might try building a wheel from scratch. And I can plan my next tour... NZ? India? China? S America?

With a new bung'ole I can do anything.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0